How to do divide your movie collection?

Info1

Info1

Hello,

Been a MB user for a long time and enjoying MB 3.

I have divided my collection in to type probably much like most:

Action, Horror, Comedy, Drama, Cartoon, ect..

My question today is for those who have a large cartoon collection for their kids how do you sub-divide that?

I setup directories for themed collection IE Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry  ect. but I have one large section originally called Disney. I recently created Disney classic for the older ones. Question is how did everyone else divide all the one of cartoon movies? The list is too long for the kids search.

Thanks for your recommendations.

m

aspdend

I don't bother - that's what the metadata is for - you can sort and collect using genres etc. (and the excellent auto boxset plugin) All my films are in one of two folders - DVD rips and Blu Ray Rips on my server.

• Like 1

Yogi

I don't bother - that's what the metadata is for - you can sort and collect using genres etc. (and the excellent auto boxset plugin) All my films are in one of two folders - DVD rips and Blu Ray Rips on my server.

Yep same here,I have 3 folders, 3D movies,Movies and a TV folder

Edited by Yogi

wallaceff

I have a movies folder, an older movies folder (sub folder of movies) and a Kids folder. Works well for me. No cartoons though, just movies

wallaceff

Yep same here,I have 2 folders 3D movies and Movies

I have a movies folder, an older movies folder (sub folder of movies) and a Kids folder. Works well for me. No cartoon TV series though, just movies

Pelon

I have a movies folder, and HD movies folder, a 3D folder and a TV folder. I also have a dynamic boxset folder, but I question that folder now.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

My Movie Collection is currently divided by:

- Anime

- Classic

- Disney Animation

- Documentary

- HD Movies

- SD Movies

Television is currently divided by:

- Anime

- Current

- Ended

- Miniseries

- Saturday Morning Cartoons

All my kids are 18+ though.

Deathsquirrel

For most things there is metadata so I keep it pretty darn simple.  Server has 5 drives.  Each drive has a share called Movies1, Movies2, etc.  In that is a simple set of folders: TV, Movies SD, and Movies HD.

For kids you can set a rating restriction on their user account and generally not have to worry about managing a separate collection or folder for them.  When there are items above or below that rating level that we feel the kids should/should not be able to see we just change the rating in the metadata editor.  It's not like the actual MPAA rating is of any use when I've already decided to ignore it for the only restricted viewers in the house.

I used to have separate folders and collections for different types of films but the genre cleaner and movies by genre views in the clients make that unnecessary IMO.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Mibok

I have a movies folder, and HD movies folder, a 3D folder and a TV folder. I also have a dynamic boxset folder, but I question that folder now.

I have the same dilemma, my library is divided in:

• HD Movies
  • SD Movies
  • HD Boxsets
  • SD Boxsets
  • Series
  • Anime

The separate HD/SD boxset folders are only for keep some kind of order when re-ripping is needed, but they are added in either HD movies or SD Movies library in MediaBrowser, but i'm thinking of disappearing those folders and use the new linking movies into collections option.

Edited by Mibok

Info1

My Movie Collection is currently divided by:

- Anime

- Classic

- Disney Animation

- Documentary

- HD Movies

- SD Movies

Television is currently divided by:

- Anime

- Current

- Ended

- Miniseries

- Saturday Morning Cartoons

All my kids are 18+ though.

Thanks for all the feedback. Agree metadata would take care of most movie setup but llke Wayne appears we have a similar setup. Keeps son't like paging thought the long list of animations,,,

I guess I will have to theme then and sub divide their directory.

Thanks again for the positive advice.

m

iainsheppard

My movies are split like so as it makes it easier to find qualities etc, as said above the metadata in MB3 sorts out that.

Movies

- 1080p

- 720p

- 576p

Childrens Movies

- 1080p

- 720p

- 576p

Logos302

I have it split like this 

Music

Movies

TV Shows

Anime

Adult

Games

Books

Photos

And because I have the AutoBox installed I have a Collections Folder, and a Trialers folder from the trailers plug in. 

pmac

Mine is split up into: Movies, HD Movies, 3D Movies, and Television. I let metadata sort out the rest. But inside of MB3 I have all 3 movie folders shown as one, and differentiate with coverart simplified into just HD, and SD covers, and the 3D overlay. Seems to work well for me, I don't like having a lot of different entry points in my collection.

CashMoney

I split my media into type, and let MB sort it out. All I do is just add further drives as I run out of space. So -

disk1 -

-Movies1

-TV1

-Music1

-Photos

disk2-

-Movies2

-TV2

disk3-

-Movies3

-TV3

etc, over 5 disks so far.

That said, my kids are older now so I don't really have a need to prevent them from seeing anything in my collection. If I did, then I may have made a separate shortcut collection for kids media on one of the disks and used that as a library for a kids account in MB3, but honestly seeing the MB3 capabilities, I'd just limit through MB3 instead I think. Other than that, everyone here has there own account (for mobile and individual use) plus we have a family account that is used the majority of the time in the living room. All we're interested in is who has (or hasn't) watched what so don't really feel a need to separate my media any more than it already is.

CBers

You might all be interested in the next server build when it's released then ;)

trusselo

Media Collections

1. TV
  2. Movies
  3. Trailers (plugin)
  4. Stand up
  5. Sports
  6. Kids Movies
  7. Music

Disks :

1. TV + Music (24 GB free of 2.72 TB)
  2. Kids Movies + Movies + Sports + Standup (117GB free of 1.81TB)
  3. Movies 2 (2.11TB free of 2.72TB)

I use 'foldered' boxsets in Movies Collections 

I think you guys are going to really like the changes with the next server release. It's going to put the control in your hands rather than the system's hands. (At least starting with the web client). Right now the top  level categories in the web client are determined automatically, which can lead to problems for some because they have no control over it. So now those categories will be dictated by your library setup.

If you only want one movies category, you can do it that way. If you want to break your movies into your own personal categories (e.g. Regular/Kids), you can do it that way too. If you want to mix and match that - combined for one user, broken apart for another, you can do that too. So really it's going to be more flexible than ever and I think you're going to like it.

• Like 6

Starkadius

I think you guys are going to really like the changes with the next server release.

I just tried this new development build on my VM. I don't like it...I love it! Really awesome it fits perfectly with the mixed content.

I am sure this is early stage stuff and I think its on topic but as @@swhitmore suggested it would pretty much make this new direction perfect. Overall I am really surprised this change was made but it is very much for the better. Great job as always!

• Like 1

swhitmore

Yeah I really like the new layout. The old one never made sense to me. I'm hoping that MBT will follow the same format. I'm really looking forward to seeing more 'Channels' too. 

Edited by swhitmore