Fibre Optic Baby....

Heckler

Heckler

My FTTC internet connection went live today... and seeing as the cabinet is about 30ft from my home... I'm getting the full speed.  :)

It's only Sky fibre for now, I got a good deal offer of half price for 12 months which saves me £120 and it's only £20 after that... and as Virgin and BT continue to ramp up speeds, I expect Sky to follow suit.

I was with Sky already and getting 22mbps but with a crappy 1mbps upstream. I'm now getting 40mbps down and 10mbps up... Tested with speedtest to confirm and that's showing over 38mbps up and 9.8mbps down. Given that there was data traffic in/out at the same time... I'm happy with that.

I'm still restricting my download and upload speeds, so I don't swamp my connection. But I have no tripled the allowed download and raised the upstream by x10.

But as always... you are only as fast as the connection at the other end.

Anyone else on fibre yet... what are your impressions so far?  I'm hoping this will make it possible to stream media from my server to my tablet when I'm out and about and can get a decent wifi signal.

• Like 2

Cheesegeezer

@@Heckler Haha nice one!!! Welcome to our world :D

I went full out for infinity 2 or 3 cant remember, but quoted 78 down and 30 up, i'm about a click from exchange and seeing about 50 down and 20 up on average.

I love it!!!!

Yeah i have no probs with remote streaming, currently streaming remotely to android app on mini pc, web client on laptop, iphone and ipad alpha app client.

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

snazy2000

I have got pretty fast BB but not fibre I get about 19 down and 2 up. Can't wait for me to get fibre !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Macburp

Time was I could get a 1MB up speed on my ADSL broadband, which was just about OK for me to use the web client or android app. Since the end of March my speeds have gone down to 4MB in & 600k out, the android app looks terrible at that speed, so fibre for me. Problem I have is my router is plugged in to an extension socket right now, the master socket is far from my wired network - so the BT man will be running some fibre for me indoors at some point soon.

• Like 1

techywarrior

I am in a condo building where we have a ptp microwave transmission to a central location which has a large fiber connection. I typically get 120mb down and 100mb up. It's some new ISP service that has started in a few cities but they only serve new buildings that have a certain number of people in it. We got lucky to be in it.

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

CBers

I think we need to get our Mbs and mbs correct ;)

I'm with VirginMedia and currently get 19Mbs (152mbs) down and 11Mbs (88mbs) up.

Edited by CBers

I think we need to get our Mbs and mbs correct ;)

I'm with VirginMedia and currently get 19Mbs (152mbs) down and 11Mbs (88mbs) up.

What does the big M small m designate?

I'm familiar with Mb (mega bits) and MB (mega bytes) but not the different 'm' sizes...

snazy2000

@@ebr bband companies sell it as Mb as the number looks higher but most things are measured in Mega Bytes. 1 Mega bit is 0.125 mega bytes.

@@ebr bband companies sell it as Mb as the number looks higher but most things are measured in Mega Bytes. 1 Mega bit is 0.125 mega bytes.

Yeah, I get that - I just don't know what "mb" is vs "Mb" which is what CBers was quoting.  Maybe he meant "Mb" vs. "MB"...?

techywarrior

yea, sorry. I've never seen a distinction in m either. Just b vs B (bits and bytes)

Cbers, you didn't make any distinction between your two listings. The important thing is the b. Capital is Bytes (which is 8 bits) lowercase is bits.

Just ran a speedtest on my connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3474341930

183/192 lol, faster upload for some reason right now. It's a symmetric connection so not all together surprising.

• Like 1

Heckler

It's not the 'M' that's important it's the B/b   mbps is the same as Mbps but not the same as MBps  :)

and @@CBers is just being pedantic about the 'M'   :P

• Like 1

CBers

Yeah, I get that - I just don't know what "mb" is vs "Mb" which is what CBers was quoting.  Maybe he meant "Mb" vs. "MB"...?

See, even I got it wrong :)

Lots of websites uses differences, as do apps etc.

My phone's speedtest app uses Mbps as opposed to MBps.

Speedtest on the web gives this: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3474423163

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Nice. Only choice I have locally is Time Warner Cable and Verizon DSL. No Fiber for the forseeable future. The area just got LTE via AT&T about 2 months ago. Verizon and T-Mobile are about 3 years out for local coverage.

Right now we're at 50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up with Time Warner. Verizon DSL maxes out at 3 Mbps down, 768 Mbps up at my location.

All internet connections should be measured in Mbps or Megabits per second. MBps is Megabytes per second and that just isn't how internet or networking is sold. Primarily because your computer uses 8 bits per byte and your network uses 10 bits per byte due to two error correcting bits.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

CBers

Loving the upload speeds.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

saajan4u

Virgin media on the poor mans connection. . 30megs down and 2 megs up.. remote streaming is crap.. but vm did promise us an upgrade in October. . See what happens

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

WWWestern

FTTH; 30/30 Mbps to external resources (outside country), 50/50 Mbps to internal (inside country) resources; unlimited traffic; 3600 KZT (~19.78 USD) per month. Plus IPTV (108 channels), plus phone, plus VAS = total 6479 KZT (~35.59 USD) per month.

• Like 1

3 Mbps down, 650 Kbps up. (at home)

Just ran a test at work and got 400 Mbps down, 540 Mbps up.

• Like 2

moviefan

Fiber isn't really needed to achieve the speeds quoted in this thread.

With comcast business class that my work pays for I get 100+ down and 20+ up.

• Like 1

c0m3r

I'm on BT infinity 2 and just next to the cabinet so getting average 76Mbps down and 19Mbps up. Apart from BT themselves being a pain, the infinity itself is excellent.

• Like 1

techywarrior

With current technology DOCSIS 3.0 (99% of the cable modems/services) maxes out around 100-150mbs. DOCSIS 3.1 will allow faster speeds by increasing the spectrum allocated.

Fiber is the only way to achieve higher speeds at the moment.

Of course, most of the distinction is only for the "last mile" anyways as once you get to the CO it's all fiber from there on out.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Speeds are limited artificially most times to increase profitability.

Google Fibre offers 1 Gbps downloads. They are spreading to more cities in the US. In cities like Austin Texas where there is competition from companies like AT&T and Comcast, that competition is also putting in 1 Gbps networks just to compete. Time Warner is saying they are going to increase speeds to 300 Mbps in Los Angeles to compete with the cities 1 Gbps fiber network. The thing with the city's network, residents only get 5 Mbps download for free and will have to pay for more bandwidth.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Wayne, AT&T is using their fiber network to compete and Comcast is most likely talking about DOCSIS 3.1 to get speeds that high.

I think tho that we've sort of hijacked the thread. Between the "mb", "Mb", "MB" discussion and the necessity of fiber...

Grats on your faster internet Heckler, hope it gives you many joys streaming with MB3 :)

• Like 1

Heckler

Loving some of the speeds I'm seeing... I'm in the UK, so we are lagging behind a fair bit compared to some of the major populations in other countries... But on the flip side, we are also ahead of those same countries in lesser populated areas.

My Aunt lives in the middle of nowhere, about a mile to the nearest village and 34 miles to the nearest small town... 10-12 miles from Carlisle. All she can get is 1Mbps with a crappy 250-300k up... I do remote help for her (she's about 80yrs old now) and it's a struggle over that connection.

But I know folks who can still only get dial up in some parts of the US, or are faced with a monopoly and extortionate prices... at least the govt did force competition into the market by making BT release their strangle hold on the infrastructure and open it up to others. Now ISPs can install their own kit in local exchanges instead of buying space from BT on their lines like they used too.

I was paying £7.50 a month for 22Mbps down and 1Mbps up... now for the next 12 months I'm paying £10 for 40 down and 10 up.  :)

If I have a gripe... and there's always one. It's with the Sky SR02 router itself... single band 2.4ghz wireless which is crappy at the best of times. I can be in the room directly above the router and still only get 3 bars (of 5) which is a medium signal at best... forget moving out into the rear garden and using it... yet my cordless phone works 50mts away. There's no guest access and no gigabit lan... seriously, in this day and age... no GB lan... WTF were they thinking... and there's only settings for dyndns.org... who have closed their free service, so even though I'm with no-ip... there's no way to configure the router to work with it, because they've got it locked down.

I'm hoping that they will start adding new features to the SR03 when it comes out, they're seriously lagging behind everyone else with their router... Guest access is something that should be standard... and they really need to allow more dns options.