Some videos flicker...

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Version 3.0.5233.39319

With the recent update, I'm having a problem where videos from a specific source flicker in Theater. They don't flicker in VLC or the Web Client. The flicker is pretty aggressive at about every 500 milliseconds. Previously videos from the same source have played without problem. Replaying those videos now have a flicker. The video is originally streamed with Windows Smooth Streaming and then built into an MKV using Smoothget and MKVMerge at the command line.

Media info is:

Video
Codec H264
Profile Main
Level 32
Resolution 1280x720
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Interlaced No
Framerate 24.41667
Bitrate 3455 kbps
Bit Depth 8 bit
Pixel Format yuv420p

Audio
Language eng
Codec AAC
Layout stereo
Sample Rate 44100 khz
Default Yes

Subtitle
Language eng
Codec SUBRIP
Default Yes
Forced No
External No

Edited by Wayne Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

In addition to the above. The videos without the flicker (only videos from The CW flicker) have a pixelated grid appearance now. Again this doesn't occur in VLC or the Web Client. Before the update, Theater had perfect crisp video with beautiful upscaling and conversion. Played great on my 24 inch high resolution monitor. The only that changed is the Theater update.

1kJ28dr.png

Edited by Wayne Luke

babgvant

Does this update include the custom EVR presenter? Are you using it?

babgvant

I haven't changed the presenter in a while. If it was present in the previous build it shouldn't matter w/ the new one.

Most likely there's some condition that the custom presenter doesn't account for. Aside from the subtitle stuff, it's quite close to the sample MS provides in the WSDK. It might need some tweaking to handle real world content.

If that is the issue, then I'll need to know how to reproduce the problems to run it down.

Koleckai Silvestri

Can try it without Subtitles. Though I usually need those to cut through the household noise. My subtitles are usually in the container.

babgvant

If you could help us narrow down the cause that would be great. Let me know what GPU you're using, and if you can test out some of the permutations it would help. A sample file that causes the problem would be a massive help.

Until I know how to make the problem show up I can't fix it.

Well, I just pushed a new dev build with your latest, so perhaps they should try that and report again.

so maybe that's it, when subs are present? is that possible?

Koleckai Silvestri

I am uploading a couple of episodes for you. 

Changing <UseCustomPresenter>true</UseCustomPresenter> to <UseCustomPresenter>false</UseCustomPresenter> fixes the issues. Turning off Subtitles has no effect.

GPU is a GeForce GTS450 (2 GB RAM). Driver is NVIDIA 331.82. Stereoscopic Display is turned off. GPU card is HDCP compliant. Monitors are a Dell ST242IL and HP 2009. Monitors are HDCP compliant. Both are connected via DVI. Within MBT, Hardware Acceleration is set to Auto. I am not using any external players nor do I have any codecs beyond LAV installed. LAV was installed with MBT. What Permutations do I need to check? What settings to change? Most settings are default except XYSubFilter is enabled because I couldn't get subtitles to display otherwise.

Will send links to the samples once I have them available.

Disabled Hardware acceleration completely and no change in behavior.

Edited by Wayne Luke