Wanna talk a bit about RetroArch

yunggunn80

yunggunn80

It seems this one program is capable of emulating a ton of the systems available right now. Is it possible to set up emulation with Gamebrowser using RetroArch to emulate the majority of systems? If so, what kind of switches are we looking at to start roms from each system without having to manually change cores. I have to say RetroArch looks really promising. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has tried this yet, but RetroArch is a very interesting project. If you wouldn't mind being the first we'd love to hear how it goes.

Redshirt

I'm very interested in getting RetroArch support added to the Android client. If anyone was to do the leg work and find out what I need to do, it would make for a lot of happy android users.

• Like 1

yunggunn80

Redshirt I would love to help any way I can because the Gamebrowser program and its progress in Media Browser Theater is something I am anxiously awaiting for my ultimate HTPC build. I will look further into the android aspect of retroarch and give you as much info as I can. However, I should let you know I would only be using it for Windows and Media Browser Theater.

Ill get back to you with some info in a few days. Thanks.

If you look at the Media Browser Theater roadmap, you will see RetroArch on it.

There are some higher priorities that need to be attended to first, but I think you're in luck because the people developing MBT like games just as much as you do :)

• Like 1

Vidman

I'm very interested in getting RetroArch support added to the Android client. If anyone was to do the leg work and find out what I need to do, it would make for a lot of happy android users.

A member at ouyaforum.com has an app called nostalgia that launches ROMs using various android emus including retroarch
  • Like 1

yunggunn80

1. Open retroarch-phoenix.exe

2. Select what system you want from the RetroArch>Update RetroArch menu

3. Make any changes under Settings

4. Finished? Go to Settings>Save RA config>systemname.cfg

5. Back in Windows, right click on retroarch.exe>Create Shortcut

6. Right click on Shortcut>Properties>Shortcut>Target>PATH\Retroarch\retroarch.exe --menu -c NAMEOFCONFIGFROMSTEP4.cfg

It looks as though using command lines that point to specific system cfg files will allow Retroarch to launch different emulators seamlessly.

• Like 1

yunggunn80

With the above method, I believe we could just add the command lines in Media Browser Theater before {PATH} and it should fire up the proper core and the game should start. I will try it out tomorrow and report back.

• Like 1

Vidman

A member at ouyaforum.com has an app called nostalgia that launches ROMs using various android emus including retroarch

I could ask if he would be responsive to helping with the info you need?

Redshirt

That would be great... Android will use what's called "intents". To use Retroarch, or any other emulator for Android that supports intents. I need to know how that intent should be structured and what needs to be in the Android Manifest. 

Redshirt

Hi redshirt any chance I could be a beta tester for the android app?

I'm looking for beta testers that understand the requirements of beta testing. A good beta tester will provide meaningful feedback, ideally with clear examples for how to reproduce a problem. Beta testing isn't for people who want early access to software. Do you see yourself as being able to fulfil the duties of a beta tester?

I'm asking straight out because I have enough beta testers that aren't beta testing.

princeuchi

I also would be interested in testing this. Have been using your android app for a while

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
xXSagaiaXx

Anymore development on this?

I thought I saw @@Redshirt taking a step back but This would be the icing on the cake for the android app.