LAV Video Filter

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I really want to be able to use MBT as my client. However, I am one of the ones that can never get the video to play correctly. I have tried all the different settings with no luck. The video just stutters a bit about every 5 seconds. 

I have asked questions about this in other threads where the topic comes up but I never get answered by anyone for some reason. The solutions offered for what others run into have not worked for me.

I did some other experimenting tonight as my videos play great in XBMC which I know uses it's own internal player. 

Any other program I use that uses LAV filters plays my videos just fine. I have used NextPVR, MediaPortal, MBC with the LAV filters enabled via an external program, etc. No problems. 

The other thing I noticed in all of those programs is that the LAV audio and video icons show up in my system tray while I am playing a video. 

I realized tonight that when I use MBT the LAV audio icon shows but not the LAV video icon. 

So, my question is, does MBT use the LAV video filter when playing my files? I notice there are settings from within MBT for the LAV audio filter but nothing for the LAV video filter. I feel like this is why my videos don't play well when I use MBT.

Maybe I have some setting wrong and it should be showing me the LAV video icon?

Any ideas here? I am becoming tempted to go to another solution for a player but I love how MB3 handles my metadata and the plugins that it has. 

-Jason

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I've only ever used the default settings for LAV video and haven't had many problems with it. There are some problems with video quality for me in the last update but the videos play for the most part. You can see my issues here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6954-some-videos-flicker/. The two may be related in some way. Problems like this happen in Alpha level software. 

Just have to wait for the MBT developers to look at it. Currently they are probably enjoying the weekend with families.

Edited by Wayne Luke

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the response. I guess I just get too anxious when I really like the look of a client. I will just have to stick with XBMC with the plugin for now and keep checking back as MBT develops further.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed whether or not the LAV video filter runs when they play videos though. If anyone reads this and has noticed, I am curious to know.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

mombasa123

Hi - Yes i have the same issue and noted that the LAV filters dont appear in the Icon Tray whereas they do with MPC-HC/MadVR.

Ghostm

I have to turn off hardware accel with mine in mbt (set it disabled) or i get stuttering. Weak gpu.

• 3 weeks later...
swhitmore

Hey, I just did a fresh install and found that I have the same issue. LAV video is not being used in MBT (but is in MBC) and the CPU is at 100% which causes stuttering. I'll do some more tests and post logs in the morning. Did you find a fix for this?

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

I also noticed that with this install of MBT there is no option to configure the LAV video (like there is with audio). I'm reinstalling now.

swhitmore

Hmmm did you do anything to get that working? LAV video is still not coming up when I play though MBT. It does through MBC. @@Luke have you seen this before?

Guest asrequested

It's weird, I have Theater on 2 laptops and the LAV doesn't come up, but on my HTPC where the server and directories are, it's active......so is it only with streaming over WiFi? I'm trying different settings in the codec tweak tool, but no affect yet. Also on one laptop, for some reason, it won't letterbox, so the image is distorted. I'm thinking this is related?

Koleckai Silvestri

They are probably suppressing the icon in calling the codec. It is an option. However video options aren't exposed yet. If you configure the audio within MBT and tell it to show the icon, it does.

swhitmore

They are probably suppressing the icon in calling the codec. It is an option. However video options aren't exposed yet. If you configure the audio within MBT and tell it to show the icon, it does.

So does that mean LAV is actually running even though the icon isn't showing? Is there a better way to tell if it is working? I don't know if it's LAV or not, but my CPU usage while playing video is a lot lower on MBC then MBT. I need to get some logs out (I'll do it asap), but the only difference I can think of is the player, since the codecs are the same.

Edited by swhitmore

Koleckai Silvestri

Well LAV are the only codecs installed on my computer and they were installed by Media Browser Theater. I can't think of any reason why it would be needed for audio but not video. Since I don't have any playback problems and don't have any external video players, the system has to be getting the codec from somewhere.

Haven't really looked into it but the Process Viewer would be a much more accurate way of determining if something is running over an icon being displayed.

• Like 1

denethor

I really want to be able to use MBT as my client.

Me too.

I think main issue is dependency on 3rd party codecs or even players. It was the same for me while I was using MyMovies+MCE+MPC-HE+MadVR combo. Things like losing player foreground focus, Problem related to GPU Drivers, proper switching between refresh rates was always a problem.(24P,25P,60P etc). But with XBMC and Plex those thinks are always instant and hassle free. As a player you have to have full control over graph and this is also crucial for building stable in player video controls.I'm pretty sure that MBHT will eventually move to same direction in feature. (Builtin CODEC based on FFMpeg or maybe even custumized one) You can't tell to your users that "Hey you need to update your LAV, MADVR or configure them this way"

Don't get me wrong both LAV and MadVR are fantastic CODEC/renderer. Just does not fit the purpose. Those were the tools that enables standalone media players to play every content.

Just wanted to share my opinons regarding to Player infrastructure.

Just my 2 cents

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't have MadVR installed and had to disable the "Custom Enhanced Player" in MBT's XML to get a lot of my video to play correctly. Didn't try to over complicate things and MBT works on all my machines, even an old dual core laptop.

• 3 weeks later...
madfloyd

I'm another one that experiences video stutter all the time, making MBT a non-starter. I keep checking back to see if the devs have made any progress towards this, so this thread is of high interest to me.

I don't see any difference regardless of what settings I make in MBT but haven't tried to check if LAV filters are showing in the system tray so I will check that.

I'd also like to try disabling the "Custom Enhanced Player".  What XML file is that in?

I finally set up external streaming with my brother, he's using MBT. Both of us are unfamiliar with it though (I use the Roku client at home).

We're having problems finding ANY configuration controls. This thread hints they are in the system tray? The Roku client has an actual settings gear, and the Classic client has the configurator (in the system tray).

He is also having studdering. I thought he could set the streaming bitrate lower (like in the Roku), but maybe the problem is elsewhere?

A8HTPC

Are your movies located on a network drive? Mine played fine while on a Western Digital MyBookLive but figured I would ask

I also know there is an option in LAV Video configuration to display system tray icon.

Edited by A8HTPC

Koleckai Silvestri

MBT isn't suitable for remote streaming at this time. Many of the features needed that are not supported by the client. You should use a Roku, Android with Chromecast or the Windows 8.1 App for remote viewing.

• Like 1

psykix

FWIW, I am using MBT with MPC-HC external player, with latest LAV codecs, MadVR and xysubfilter and the resulting picture is top notch. It plays HEVC (x265) fine too :-)

I lose the internal player overlay, but the resulting picture quality makes it well worth it.

There's a great guide which I followed here :-

http://garteal.hostoi.com/how-to-setup-media-player-classic-home-cinema

The only thing not mentioned is how to configure the LAV codecs - they are pretty straightforward though.

leebo

MBT isn't suitable for remote streaming at this time. Many of the features needed that are not supported by the client. You should use a Roku, Android with Chromecast or the Windows 8.1 App for remote viewing.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for if they ever add that feature.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.

• 4 weeks later...

Btw, you're talking about Windows PHONE 8.1, right? Or is there a MB app for Windows 8.1 on a pc?

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!