Chapter detection not working in newly added titles

Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

I noticed this last night and did a bit of checking today.  On my server, between April 5 and April 9, chapter detection stopped working.  The server scans pick up the correct number of chapters but the chapter times are all marked at time 0:00 and have the same lovely black screencap for their extracted picture.

Movies added before April 5 are fine.  All movies added since have the issue.

All movies have chapters working correctly in MPC-HC.  They playback fine in MBT, IE, to my Xbox One via DLNA play-to, and using the Windows 8.1 app.  Just no chapters.

Suggestions or logs that would be helpful to review?

Deathsquirrel

Before I remove & reinstall the server, figured I'd check one more time to see if anyone else is seeing this same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't rip to mp4 so can't help diagnosing that but my mkvs are finding chapters.

Deathsquirrel

OK, I've had a chance to reinstall everything and now it's happening with all movies.  This appears to be an issue with newer versions of the server software on at least my system.  Do any of you see correct chapter markers in MP4 movies you've added to your collection in the last month?

Deathsquirrel

EBR, that does seem like that may be the issue.  I checked and the very small number of MKVs I have worked normally.  Every MP4 I've checked is failing but MKVs appear to work fine.

So was there an update to the server in early April that might explain this?  I thought it might be a caching problem but since a full uninstall & reinstall made everything worse, that points to a server bug of some sort.

you should try running the files through ffprobe to see what it produces for chapter times

Deathsquirrel

Luke you happen to know the switch that will show the chapter times?  Happy to run it but that's not outputting when I run FFPROBE so I'm surely missing something in my command line.

Note that this used to work fine with the same exact files so either there is an issue with the server processing the data it gets on the file or there's a problem in the probe that retrieves the data on the files.

bertbert72

You shouldn't need anything else on the command line.  Just

ffprobe myfile.mp4

This should list out all the chapters.  If it doesn't, try opening in MPC-HC or running Mediainfo and see if either of them shows the chapters.

Deathsquirrel

OK, overthinking this clearly.

• MPC-HC shows the chapters, that I tested before reporting this and noted in the initial report.
  • FFPROBE shows the chapters correctly.

MB3 server shows the correct number of chapters but their start times are all 0:00 except for chapter 1 which is -1:59:60.  That's typical of all the titles in my collection except MKVs right now.  Of course I only have MKVs where I had to join a 2-disc movie so there aren't many of those :)

Okay, so something has gone wrong with the times on chapters in mp4s (at least).