Question about subtitles

Ironman273

Ironman273

So I just noticed the subtitles support in the new release and tried it out. I had recently watched Jack Ryan and there were parts where the actors were speaking Russian so I decided to set it to download English subtitles for it.  Well, it did what it said, so I had subtitles for all the conversations.  What I'm wondering is if there is a setting or way to download subtitles for only the foreign language parts?

Unfortunately the open subtitles api does not include this information. Correct me if I'm wrong @@Luis

FredipusRex

I believe you should be able to look for subtitle files that have "Foreign Parts Only" or "Forced Sub" (various separators) to find files that only show subs during foreign/alien speaking parts.

yea but there's no property in the data that tells us that definitely. we're not just going to look joe user's handwritten description. that won't be reliable.

FredipusRex

Yeah, there's been an open (and acknowledged) request for a "forced" tag since 2011 but no movement on it. That's why the "Foreign Parts Only" hack is so widespread. Some tools will also look for short files - if some files for a language are 10K and others are 1K, the assumption is that the short file is the "forced" file.