Finding a way to get MB to do everything I want

Savage13

Savage13

I am looking to be able to have MB do a few things, and can't seem how to get it to do all of them.  Right now I use MBClassic as my interface and use TMT5 as an external player for Bluray rips (m2ts).  For the most part this is great.  TMT5 does automatic frame rate switching for me which looks fantastic with the video processing my TV does and I love it....especially since I use lossless bluray (folder) rips for my movies.  The problem is that this does not seem to support using the intros plugin, nor multiple disc movies.  Can anyone point me in a better setup that will do the following:

• Automatic frame rate switching (primarily 60, 24, 23 FPS)
  • Support multi-part and multi-disc movies
  • Support the MB Intros plugin

I'd really appreciate the help.  I've done a ton of reading but haven't successfully gotten any set up to do all of this.  And I'm not necessarily dead set on MBClassic...I would use MBT if there's a way to get this to work.  I use a core i3 and no video card, in case that matters.  Thanks in advance for any help!

eventually you will want MBT for that.

For now, you might be best to stick with what you've got and live without intros. The problem with intros and TMT is that TMT doesn't support a playlist, so there's no way for us to tell it to plan an intro before the movie.

That same problem will carry over to MBT, but with MBT you'll have a better chance at being able to use the internal player.

Well, I need more information on what exactly you've done because both Intros and multi-discs should be supported in your setup.

Savage13

Right now if I play a Blu ray movie, the intro plays fine, but then the movie never passes to the external player (TMT5) and instead I end up with an error.  From what I've read (including from Luke) the intros plugin just won't work with TMT5 because of this.  If there is a different external player that DOES support this and also does auto framerate switching, I'm all for it.  I just haven't found it.  I know MBT will handle the intro & blu-ray movie, but does not handle framerate switching.  This is where I'm a bit stuck.  I'm not sure at all which player (MBT or external) will handle multi-part or multi-disc movies.  

As Ebr is alluding MBC has some workaround s to do this with tmt. With MBT the internal player will ultimately be so much stronger that that's where our efforts are focused.

The way intros work in MBC is the intros are played in the internal player and then, when they are finished, the main movie is passed to the external one (if configured).  So, if that isn't working, please post a MBC log from when you try that sequence of events.

As for mult-part movies, as long as they are recognized by the server as having additional parts, they should be supported by MBC.  Again, a log from when you try to play one of these.

Savage13

I have attached a debug log of what happens when I attempt to play a movie with a tag based intro (debug.txt is the server log, MBC log is from MBC).  What happens usually is one of two things:  either the intro plays fine, then I hear a windows error sound, then I hear the movie playing in the external player for a few seconds and then that stops and the movie never makes it to the foreground (that's what happened in this log) -OR- the intro plays fine, then I hear the windows error sound followed by an error that TMT5 has stopped working.

With regards to multi disc movies, I have yet to get the server to recognize this in the one I'm testing.  Right now I have the following file structure:

/The Lord of the Rings Collection[boxset]

/Fellowship of the Ring

/Fellowship of the Ring Disc 1

/BDMV

/Fellowship of the Ring Disc 2

/BDMV  

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong here as well.  Thanks again for all the assistance!

debug.txt

MBC log.txt

Edited by Savage13

On the multi-disc movie you need to get rid of the collection/boxset setup.  You haven't defined a multi-disc movie, you have define a box set with two individual movies in it.

Instead, you want:

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring\Disc 1\bdmv

\Disc 2\bdmv

See: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/#Multi-file and multi-disc movies

On the intros problem - try turning off the theme video backgrounds functionality.  I'm wondering if there is a conflict there...

On the multi-disc movie you need to get rid of the collection/boxset setup.  You haven't defined a multi-disc movie, you have define a box set with two individual movies in it.

Instead, you want:

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring\Disc 1\bdmv

\Disc 2\bdmv

See: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/#Multi-file and multi-disc movies

he's got the movie under the boxset though. that should be ok right?

I have attached a debug log of what happens when I attempt to play a movie with a tag based intro (debug.txt is the server log, MBC log is from MBC).  What happens usually is one of two things:  either the intro plays fine, then I hear a windows error sound, then I hear the movie playing in the external player for a few seconds and then that stops and the movie never makes it to the foreground (that's what happened in this log) -OR- the intro plays fine, then I hear the windows error sound followed by an error that TMT5 has stopped working.

With regards to multi disc movies, I have yet to get the server to recognize this in the one I'm testing.  Right now I have the following file structure:

/The Lord of the Rings Collection[boxset]

/Fellowship of the Ring

/Fellowship of the Ring Disc 1

/BDMV

/Fellowship of the Ring Disc 2

/BDMV  

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong here as well.  Thanks again for all the assistance!

why don't you think the server is recognizing the multi-disc structure?

he's got the movie under the boxset though. that should be ok right?

Oh, I see, yeah, he does have them under one movie.  Sorry, my bad, I read it too fast.

The server should be recognizing that as a multi-disc movie - unless maybe it doesn't work for BD rips?  The example has a DVD rip.

His structure looks ok. That's why I'm wondering what he's expecting as far as the server recognizing it. All that happens is it shows the movie detail page as normal, with an Additional Parts section containing part 2.

His structure looks ok. That's why I'm wondering what he's expecting as far as the server recognizing it. All that happens is it shows the movie detail page as normal, with an Additional Parts section containing part 2.

The question is - is that what it shows on the server in his case?  Because, if it does, then he should be getting a multi-disc selection screen in MBC when he plays it.

Savage13

I played around with it last night.  With the BDMV structure, I do NOT see an "additional parts" section in server.  I also tried it with making the BDMV's into MKV's and swapped those in, instead.  When I did this server did show an additional parts section, but when the first disc was done, it just stopped and nothing else happened in MBC nor did I see anywhere there to start the second part.  The BDMV setup wouldn't show it as 2 parts in server at all.  I'm running chocolate as my theme, in case that matters, by the way.

When I get home tonight I'll try turning uninstalling the video backdrops plugin and see if that changes the intros situation, as you suggested ebr.  Thanks again for helping me with this.

Edited by Savage13

Savage13

Removing the video backdrops did not change the behavior with regards to having the external player and trying to use the Intros plugin. 

Also, do we know why when I got the server to recognize the "additional part" using MKV files why I didn't get an option to play the other part in MBC?

For straight video files, MBC will automatically just combine the two items and play them one after the other instead of presenting you with a menu.  It is only with ripped media (ISO, bdmv and video_ts) that it would produce a menu for the additional parts.  However, with external players this may be a bit hit or miss.  I know it will work well with MPC-HC but not sure about TMT.

As for the intros issue, are you sure you have proper codecs installed to play your intros in the internal WMC player?  Try uninstalling codec packs and installing straight LAV.  In your log I saw that we played the first intro but when it was finished the internal player never stopped like it should - which hung us up trying to get the main movie started.

@@Luke, looks like maybe we're not recognizing BD rips as multi-part movies...

Maybe, but I think we would have heard from Abo by now :) If he could post some specific examples, with screenshots of the filesystem at each level, we will probably be able to stop the issue.

Savage13

I got MBC to play the two part file finally with MKV, but I'd still prefer to use TMT due to the auto refresh rate change.

As far as the intros, yes they play fine with the internal player.  If I play a DVD (which plays in the internal player) with an intro, it plays just fine.  It doesn't work for those using the external player (BDMV). In fact, based on what you said, I tried playing the same movie I've been testing again, but this time while the intro was playing I hit STOP.  Once I did that, my movie started playing in the external player just fine.  This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the plugin and/or internal player (as you suggested) where it is not stopping playback of the intro before trying to send the file to the external player.

I also noticed that I cannot get the intro to work for my Fellowship of the Rings 2 parter that is now in MKV.  Could this be an issue with Boxsets as far as the plugin goes?

I also noticed that I cannot get the intro to work for my Fellowship of the Rings 2 parter that is now in MKV.  Could this be an issue with Boxsets as far as the plugin goes?

I'd need to see an MBC log from that session.

Hmmm... it is possible that Intros won't play for a multi-part item because we might have disabled intros when playing groups of items and those look like groups of items to the internal player logic.

If you combine that movie with mkvmerge does the intro play?

Savage13

Never used it before but I'm willing to give it a shot.  Will it affect the quality of the file?  I turned these into MKV at full quality as I do not want compression.