mp4 files blurry on xbox 360 - mkv play fine

knightbringer

knightbringer

I'm to a point now where mkv's play perfectly with Shark007 codecs inside of WMC (or MB3 classic).  The only problem I have now is that mp4 files are extremely blurry.  When I watch the same mp4 file using Serviio, it plays fine on my 360.  At first I thought it was Shark007 codecs but then I read somewhere where MBserver tries to transcode mp4 files if they done't have the Microsoft recommended codecs (according to Microsoft - xbox 360's can only play mp4's with aac audio).

The strange thing is that the mp4/mkv files I'm using are h.264 video with ac3 audio.  The only difference is the container.  Since obviously the xbox 360 can play those codecs (because the mkv files play fine in WMC and serviio plays the mp4 files fine), is there a way to disable transcoding to the xbox 360 clients so that the xbox 360 will have to play it natively?

I don't think the 360 can play a mp4 with ac3 in it natively.  In fact, I've read on multiple occasions that ac3 audio basically is not supported inside an mp4 container.  This makes some sense since mp4 is really a mobile format and ac3 is bitstreamed Dolby Digital (which most mobile devices wouldn't be able to decode).

ronvp

I don't think the 360 can play a mp4 with ac3 in it natively.  In fact, I've read on multiple occasions that ac3 audio basically is not supported inside an mp4 container.  This makes some sense since mp4 is really a mobile format and ac3 is bitstreamed Dolby Digital (which most mobile devices wouldn't be able to decode).

MP4 can handle AC3, but not all players do. Best is to use AAC  Audio in MP4.