New fanart.tv API address

Kode

To any devs, if you use the default JSON feed can you change it to use http://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/movies/MOVIEID?api_key=YOURAPIKEY

So for example:

The new API isn't finished yet, but works a lot better in the backend, is less stressful on the server, and uses much less bandwidth, the GET endpoint for movies wont change so it should be safe to use.

The reason for this request before its finished is API traffic has gone from about 2.6million requests a day (76million a month) to around 7.6million a day (or about 230million a month) in the last month, and the API server is struggling at times, so anyone we can move over to the newer API will be a help.

we're actually using the xml still. is that an issue?

while I have you here, the reason we're still using the xml is due to the json strcuture which cannot be easily parsed by generic json parsing libraries.

for example:

"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring": {}

using the movie name as the property name means we can't define a known structure, which means we're going to have to write our own code to parse this.

whereas something like this would be much easier to parse with very little effort:

{

"name": "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"

}

So while we can use your json, it's just not very developer friendly which means I'm going to have to allocate more time to it than I would like.

XML isn't in the new API (yet, not 100% whether to add it yet, might keep just in the v2 api)

As for JSON, really?  Im not sure what parser you are using but it shouldn't be that difficult, the name is just for reference but the rest should be readily accessible, in PHP you could just do something like:

$art = json_decode($request);
$movie = current($art);

then everything is accessible from $movie->itemname so foreach($movie->clearlogos as $clearlogo) { do something }

The biggest issue with changing it is it will mean everyone who currently uses it will have to change their code as well as the url
Edited by Kode

The problem is we're not dealing in PHP we are in managed .net (c#) so we need defined property names or we cannot define a c# class that matches up with your json.

In case anyone is interested here are the ab results on the same server

OLD API

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   343.424 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Total transferred:      12221000 bytes
HTML transferred:       11789000 bytes
Requests per second:    2.91 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       1717.118 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       343.424 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          34.75 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    0   0.1      0       4
Processing:   188 1712 454.1   1802    2605
Waiting:      166 1656 450.7   1745    2558
Total:        188 1712 454.1   1803    2606

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%   1803
  66%   1954
  75%   2023
  80%   2056
  90%   2179
  95%   2286
  98%   2404
  99%   2470
 100%   2606 (longest request)

NEW API
Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   3.185 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Total transferred:      17474000 bytes
HTML transferred:       17294000 bytes
Requests per second:    313.97 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       15.925 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       3.185 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          5357.74 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    0   0.1      0       1
Processing:     9   16   9.1     11      65
Waiting:        2    7   7.8      4      55
Total:          9   16   9.1     12      65

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%     12
  66%     15
  75%     18
  80%     20
  90%     27
  95%     36
  98%     46
  99%     51
 100%     65 (longest request)

• Like 1

Yea. it can be done, but it will take longer than usual. whereas Tmdb for example, I added them in about 15 minutes the other day with their easy to parse structure.

Tim Hobbs

Would dynamic help out here? It may make it easier with a little less hoop-jumping.

Even so, it would be in the best interest of a good api design for the fanart api to structure it similar to the above example Luke provided. You'll run in to similar issues with any statically typed language.

To be honest though, noone is using it yet, so I guess I could change it and hope devs update their code

Tim Hobbs

That is pretty good. :)

I think it is probably just a preference to not have to use the Dictionary<string, *>. If there was a key passed via the API it could be deserialized directly to a typed object. At this point it is 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

It has been some time since I have done anything with java, and I know there is some generic support, but like I mentioned this may be an issue there too. Although, if it means breaking existing working code, I can understand why you'd maybe want to not change the API.

Edited by Tim Hobbs

We could always write some custom code like that but, right now, we're using standard json deserializers and they won't understand the current structure.  So, we'd always have to have a special case just for this API.

ah ok, just saw the update. movie is not necessary. i only based that on what i saw previously.

So does that work better for you guys like that?

If so I'll leave it like that and tell people to update their code or stick with the old one for now

that will work better not only for us, but everyone who uses the api. no doubt about it. thanks.

ScottIsAFool

Guess I should be ready to update this project then :) https://github.com/ScottIsAFool/FanArtPortable/

Also, this is how I got round the json problem with the older API (if anyone is interested) https://github.com/ScottIsAFool/FanArtPortable/blob/658d78e1bad4f861146bc32906c31591813eb4e1/FanArtPortable/ExtensionMethods.cs#L19 (usage: https://github.com/ScottIsAFool/FanArtPortable/blob/master/FanArtPortable/FanArtClient.cs#L174)

Edited by ScottIsAFool
  • Like 1