Genre Cleaner Not Cleaning

gochiefs88842
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

gochiefs88842

Hello,

I've installed Genre Cleaner and mapped the movie genres as desired.  After saving settings and moving onto performing a library scan, I'm not seeing any changes in my library. I've tried waiting for several hours just to see if the scan may take awhile.  I've also tried turning my clients off to be safe.  Nevertheless, the old genres remain and the undesired genre folders still show up in MBS and MBC.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point.

I copied log files from MBS and MBC, along with screenshots from both, but I'm unable to upload them apparently due to file size restrictions in the forum...

You can zip them and attach or put them on dropbox or paste2.org...

The server log is what we'll need.

That server log is nothing but DLNA errors.  There didn't appear to be any sort of library scan or refresh in it.

Do this:

Restart the server

Let it finish its initial library scan

Go to an item that should have genres modified by Genre Cleaner, edit it and Refresh all data.

Post that server log.

Never mind - I found it - "Election".

Now, next step - post screenshots of the following:

- That movie in the editor page showing the genres that are there

- The configuration screen of GenreCleaner showing genres that should have been modified

gochiefs88842

It was the movie "Election."  I want it tagged just as comedy, but it's tagged as indie, also.  I have indie removed as a possibility in Genre Cleaner.  It's the only indie in the whole library, so I thought it would be a good one for testing.

Okay, thanks for all the details.  I have reproduced and genre cleaner does appear to be broken.

@@Luke Genre Cleaner runs with ICustomMetadataProviders.  I just put a breakpoint in my provider, did a refresh (both local only and all data) and I never hit my breakpoint.  Did something change here...?

did you make the change from about 6 weeks ago that changed the second param of the refresh method? the second param should be a MetadataRefreshOptions object. If it is still IDirectoryService then just update that and it should be good to go.

I'm assuming this particular provider should run in all scenarios so I can just ignore the options...

gochiefs88842

The update via MBS Beta worked, save one issue.  With the same genre "Indie" (which is not on the allowed list via Genre Cleaner), the genre still showed up until a manual refresh of all data for the movie was performed within the Metadata editor interface.  Thus, I edited the same "Election" movie and now all is well within my movie library.  I'm not sure if this is a remaining kink that needs to be ironed out in the code re: altogether eliminated genres. I could not think of another genre that I had intentionally removed, only ones that were mapped to others, so I'm not sure how else to test this myself.

As sort of a side issue, but relevant to Genre Cleaner, I've also noticed that the "Foreign" genre that appears in my MBS has some definite misnomers.  For instance, Mad Max is considered a "foreign" film, while 13 Assassins is not.  I assume this is based on the internet metadata sources (tmdb.org, IMDB, etc) and their assignment of genres.  I am curious if it is possible not only to assign another genre label (or remove one) to a movie such as 13 Assassins, but to also lock that specific component of metadata from future editing?  I may be missing it, but I don't see anything in the MBS server interface that allows this.  It's not a huge issue because I already have created a separate "Foreign Films" library folder that shows up in MBC and in the MBS Metadata Manager/Library Folders, but it does mean that now I have no ability to see that "Foreign Films" library folder on the MBS "Movies" section and instead may need to view an imperfect "Foreign" genre within the MBS "Movies" section. Hope that makes sense.

You will need to refresh items to make genre cleaner run again.

Down at the bottom of the metadata editing page there is a "Metadata Settings" area:

53c408cb4a9af_lockgenre.png

gochiefs88842

Just to make sure I understand, once the library scan on genre cleaner has been run for the first time, everything is essentially automated for future library additions.  Thus, if I want to go back and change any items already scanned, they need to be manually refreshed (and this could obviously be done for specific items or entire folders).  Correct?

And as to the image above, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know re: locking metadata for specific files or entire folders!

If a new item is added or an item changes in some way, Genre Cleaner should re-run.  You had to do it manually because the item didn't change, the logic in the program did.