MBT loses focus after using WMC

swhitmore

swhitmore

Does anyone else use the WMC launcher app to load WMC from MBT? I'm having an issue when I try and close WMC to go back to MBT. Since I'm only using a remote (no keyboard), I can see MBT, but it doesn't have focus in Windows and I can't alt-tab.

Spaceboy

For live TV? No, I took a look at this but decided it was just too clunky to meet WAF. I'd love to be able to use MBT but not yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripper

If you are using a programmable remote (I use a Harmony) that can do multiple key presses (example: alt+9), you can configure custom buttons. Then, using a combination of WinHotKey and AutoHotkey (both freeware utils), you can setup buttons on the remote to do all the app switching.

1. Configure your key presses on the remote to be whatever combination of key presses you choose.

2. Configure WinHotKey to listen for those key combos and launch the corresponding AutoHotKey script

3. Make an AutoHotKey script for each task

I have two buttons on my remote, "WMC", and "Media Browser". This setup ensures that only one of the two is ever running, as my scripts close one before opening the other. It will also ensure the apps steal focus from WHATEVER else may be running on the PC.

It might take an hour to setup, but has high WAF.

Della Dog

If you are using a programmable remote (I use a Harmony) that can do multiple key presses (example: alt+9), you can configure custom buttons. Then, using a combination of WinHotKey and AutoHotkey (both freeware utils), you can setup buttons on the remote to do all the app switching.

1. Configure your key presses on the remote to be whatever combination of key presses you choose.

2. Configure WinHotKey to listen for those key combos and launch the corresponding AutoHotKey script

3. Make an AutoHotKey script for each task

I have two buttons on my remote, "WMC", and "Media Browser". This setup ensures that only one of the two is ever running, as my scripts close one before opening the other. It will also ensure the apps steal focus from WHATEVER else may be running on the PC.

It might take an hour to setup, but has high WAF.

Hey Ripper,

Might you post those scripts - I'd like to do the same on a harmony ultimate.

Thanks

swhitmore

Thanks Ripper. I only use a harmony in my Theatre room, and I've set up something like this already. I'm using a standard WMC remote in the other room where I'm having the issue.

ripper

Hey Ripper,

Might you post those scripts - I'd like to do the same on a harmony ultimate.

Thanks

Della,

Sorry for the delayed response. Here you go:

Activate MBT and close WMC -

IfWinExist Media Browser Theater
{
WinActivate
}

else
{
Run "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\System\MediaBrowser.UI.exe"
WinWait Media Browser Theater
WinActivate
}

IfWinExist, Windows Media Center
WinClose ;

Activate WMC and close MBT -

IfWinExist Windows Media Center
{
WinActivate

}
else
{
Run C:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
WinWait Windows Media Center
WinActivate

}

IfWinExist, Media Browser Theater
Winclose ;
  • Like 1

Della Dog

Della,

Sorry for the delayed response. Here you go:

Activate MBT and close WMC -

IfWinExist Media Browser Theater
{
WinActivate
}

else
{
Run "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\System\MediaBrowser.UI.exe"
WinWait Media Browser Theater
WinActivate
}

IfWinExist, Windows Media Center
WinClose ;

Activate WMC and close MBT -

IfWinExist Windows Media Center
{
WinActivate

}
else
{
Run C:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe
WinWait Windows Media Center
WinActivate

}

IfWinExist, Media Browser Theater
Winclose ;

Thanks!

Edited by Della Dog

Rogerr

Here's another way to do it:

1. Put shortcuts to your WMC and MB on the task bar.

2. Use AdvancedMCERemoteMapper to make 2 keys do this:

Windows logo key 0d8a4985-b5e2-41a6-a1b6-e4bafb517937_92.+number

Start the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already running, switch to that program

This also fixes the Windows 8 problem that makes you press the green button twice to start Media Center.

DigiTM

Having this issue as well. Using the WMC plugin, once I exit WMC the WMC remote becomes unresponsive in MBT.  However just by moving the mouse, suddenly I can use the remote again as normal.