TV collections

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

It would be nice to have TV collections. For example a Scooby-doo collection because there are like 4 different Scooby-doo series that I have for my kids.

You can create collections from any media type.  You can even mix the types.

gillmacca

How do you create collections in TV? I can't find an option under tv shows.

You can make a folder ending with [boxset] and put them into it.

No, don't do that. That's the old way.

Collections aren't under any type, they are their own thing.  When you create one, you can add any media type to it.

• Like 1

gillmacca

I was hoping that when I made a TV collection under the collections tab, it would appear appear in the TV section under menu item collection, if that makes sense.

With the way it works at the moment, you will have tv/movies and any other collections you have made all mixed together

Edited by gillmacca

Spaceboy

When you create one, you can add any media type to it.

That is interesting, wasn't aware of that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roberthleeii

I was hoping that when I made a TV collection under the collections tab, it would appear appear in the TV section under menu item collection, if that makes sense.

With the way it works at the moment, you will have tv/movies and any other collections you have made all mixed together

X2

• Like 1

roberthleeii

Having to access my TV collection through the movies menu is just about worthless to me. No offence, but it is very unintuitive and confusing.

• Like 1

Vidman

Having to access my TV collection through the movies menu is just about worthless to me. No offence, but it is very unintuitive and confusing.

Collections are accessed through the collections menu item

roberthleeii

Collections are accessed through the collections menu item

When I am trying to browse my TV shows there is no collection menu. To access the collections menu item you have to be browsing the movies. You should be able to access TV collections when looking through the TV shows. It should work like movies where the titles are all combined in to one title, for example all my Scooby-doo series should be under the Scooby-doo TV collection not in 4 different series across my TV series.

• Like 1

roberthleeii

We simply can't implement everything exactly the way everyone wants it to be.  A lot of people like the fact that you can have collections with mixed types.  In fact, that was a big feature I don't think anyone else has.

It is possible the collections could be enhanced down the road to work more like you are wanting (or some variation that satisfies the same goal) but, again, we can't do everything all at once.  There are only a few of us and only so much time in the day.

Maybe you don't intend it to, but I will say your posts come off as very demanding and unconcerned with what anyone else might like as far as this functionality goes.  That is just a little off-putting when so many people are dedicating so much of their time to help out here and bring you a fairly complex and functional product for free.

In any case, this is how the functionality works right now - subject to refinements and enhancements in the future.

You are right my posts come of demanding, and I am sorry for that. It was not my intention. My original post was simply asking if this was a feature. That question was answered and I played with it a little and replyed back that I thought it was unintuitive and did not really seem like the best solution and I started saying how I thought it might be improved and how I would like to use it. I guess I probably should have thought about how to say it more PC and less demanding. Then there were the post answering questions not asked and saying that there was this mystical collections menu item in the fly in menu. All great and dandy but I still cant find that and that is something I never wanted to talk about in the first place. To me it just made me feel like an attack on me for no reason relevant to the original intention of the threat topic. 

I absolutely love using mediabrowser and think it is great as it is. And always show it off to people when they come over to my home. At my sons birthday party I was asked why all the Scooby-Doo shows were all over the TV menu and how I ever found the one I was looking for when putting and episode on for the kids to watch. That is why I asked the original question. I also do like the possibility of mixing different media types in a collection I had never thought of that until this thread.

the idea of using collections for media other than movies is new so please be patient. it needs time to evolve, and we need to time assess feedback and see where the most demand lies.

First of all thanks for all the time put in to this product. Second I feel now that I should rephrase my post now that I am more familiar to the current state of media collections to more of a feature request: It would be a wonderful that in the future we could specify where collections would show up when browsing different media. For example it would be great if I could have my Scooby-Doo collection show up when I am browsing through my TV shows and movies because it contains all my Scooby-Doo movies and TV shows. Like wise if I am browsing my TV series I will not see my Lord of the rings collection but I will be able to see my Voltron TV series collection. I currently use collections to clean up my movies view because it makes fewer titles to look through and stops movies with the same theme or characters from showing up repeatedly when browsing through for something to watch, look at Raiders of the last Ark because it is not Indiana Jones and the.... it pops in a different area than the others if it was not in a collection. I simply scroll down/over to Indiana jones and I can see all my Indiana Jones moves together if that is what I feel like watching at the time. I am posting this in the server section because I feel this has to do with how the collections metadata is picked up in the various clients including the web client of the server, but I usually use the roku and MB Theater clients to view my media.

Thank you,

Vidman

When I am trying to browse my TV shows there is no collection menu. To access the collections menu item you have to be browsing the movies. You should be able to access TV collections when looking through the TV shows. It should work like movies where the titles are all combined in to one title, for example all my Scooby-doo series should be under the Scooby-doo TV collection not in 4 different series across my TV series.

What client are you talking about here... I assume the web client as this is in the server section of the forum Edited by Vidman

roberthleeii

There is no such thing as a "Movie" collection or a "TV" collection.  They are all just collections and can contain any type of media or multiple types of media.  There is a quick menu option from the movies area because that's how most people use this feature but you can always get there by hovering over the main menu, let it slide out and select "Collections".

Yes and that is the problem.

And your hover method described above does not work and none of the clients that I use can access collections from the TV menus either.

I feel collections should be defined and have options as to where they show up, maybe even have different sections for different media types once opened up.

Vidman

Yes and that is the problem.

And your hover method described above does not work and none of the clients that I use can access collections from the TV menus either.

No.... They should be accessed from the collections menu as ebr said.... But I don't think all clients have a separate collections menu item yet

roberthleeii

I'm sure this is not the final discussion on this subject :)

However, having that much customization for such a simple thing I feel is much more infective than the slide out/Folder view we have now. And the hover/slide out menu does work (for me) at least in the web-client and I got the impression that it was that EBr was talking about.

What client are you talking about here... I assume the web client as this is in the server section of the forum

Pick one, it does not matter. But if you want to get nitpicky I was talking mainily about the web client as this is in the server section of the forum.

There is no such thing as a "Movie" collection or a "TV" collection.  They are all just collections and can contain any type of media or multiple types of media.  There is a quick menu option from the movies area because that's how most people use this feature but you can always get there by hovering over the main menu, let it slide out and select "Collections".

53cd89381c0e6_slideoutmenu.png

Also forgive me for wanting to brows my movie collections with my movies and my collections of TV shows with my TV shows. Maybe mediabrowser made a mistake by not just lumping all media in together? For general use it is intuitive to look for movies in with other movies and TV shows with other TV shows. The collections are great when browsing movies because it makes it less complicated by reducing the total number of titles in the menus. I have several iron man movies for my and my kids so I have them  all in a collection for iron man and then the Marvel cinematic universe ones also in a marvel cinematic collection. It keeps me from coming across the 4or 5 titles when browsing for movies to watch. If I want to watch an iron man movie I can just enter one of the collections and view those extra options.

roberthleeii

No.... They should be accessed from the collections menu as ebr said.... But I don't think all clients have a separate collections menu item yet

look at my picture above, Movies, TV, Music, and channels. No collections. and I don't want it there either.

We simply can't implement everything exactly the way everyone wants it to be.  A lot of people like the fact that you can have collections with mixed types.  In fact, that was a big feature I don't think anyone else has.

It is possible the collections could be enhanced down the road to work more like you are wanting (or some variation that satisfies the same goal) but, again, we can't do everything all at once.  There are only a few of us and only so much time in the day.

Maybe you don't intend it to, but I will say your posts come off as very demanding and unconcerned with what anyone else might like as far as this functionality goes.  That is just a little off-putting when so many people are dedicating so much of their time to help out here and bring you a fairly complex and functional product for free.

In any case, this is how the functionality works right now - subject to refinements and enhancements in the future.

• Like 1

AdrianW

I've just started using collections for TV and it's working very well for my purposes. All my movie boxsets were created manually (before collections were a thing) - and I think physically grouping movie boxsets together makes more sense than using the collection functionality. Anyway the result is that "Collections" on MBC only includes my TV collections - which is exactly what I want to occur - so I hope that doesn't change. Movie boxsets are appearing in the correct place with the rest of the movies.

I have a few questions though - and this is regarding collections as displayed in MBC - but these issues are probably caused my server features that haven't been completed yet:

• I have three collections of various TV shows - the three collections contain lots of unwatched content, but the overlay indicator in MBC on each of them shows that they've all been watched (i.e. a tick is displayed). I've tried refreshing (Ctrl-R) and running a complete scan, and nothing changed.
  • On the EHS for "Collections" I'm seeing no content at all and in fact "No Items" is displayed in a huge font in the background.
  • Will there be a way to restrict collections to specific users? - now that I've created these three collections, every user can see them - even those that have no access to the source libraries.

-edit- 

The third question was answered by ebr in this post in another thread.

Edited by AdrianW

the idea of using collections for media other than movies is new so please be patient. it needs time to evolve, and we need to time assess feedback and see where the most demand lies.

• Like 1

Beardyname

I'm sure this is not the final discussion on this subject :)

However, having that much customization for such a simple thing I feel is much more infective than the slide out/Folder view we have now. And the hover/slide out menu does work (for me) at least in the web-client and I got the impression that it was that EBr was talking about.

Vidman

This is my menu

and i wasnt being nitpicky and im glad my assumption was correct:)

maybe you could try not being rude to people trying to help you?

there are a number of options for accessing your content in a way the suits you

post-1643-0-77287200-1406030052_thumb.png

Edited by Vidman

AdrianW

• I have three collections of various TV shows - the three collections contain lots of unwatched content, but the overlay indicator in MBC on each of them shows that they've all been watched (i.e. a tick is displayed). I've tried refreshing (Ctrl-R) and running a complete scan, and nothing changed.

@@ebr Today I watched two "unwatched" episodes from within a TV collection folder that had a tick - and after exiting back to "Collections" the specific TV collection's unwatched count had changed from a tick to -2 (minus 2). Exiting MBC entirely and re-entering, the unwatched indicator went back to a tick.

(Not sure if decrementing the count is an MBC or an MBS action).

Edited by AdrianW