Content sync

Vidman

Vidman

I see that the latest dev release of the sever has added a sync button in the web client view of an item.... Any idea if the xbmb3c add-on will be able to support content syncing?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here?.... But I have been eagerly awaiting this feature

Yes, you are jumping the gun a bit :).  This feature will be evolving over the next couple of months but it is targeted mostly at the mobile clients.

xnappo

@@Luke - can you explain how this is supposed to work?  I don't get it - you need to have an internet connection to browse the library so...??

xnappo

Posted that at the same time as ebr - we will wait for the mobile client implementations and then see if it makes sense.

xnappo

xnappo (and other devs) - you can follow the discussion here.  But, as I said, this will be primarily a mobile client feature so your strategy to wait is sound.  

Not saying clients such as this can't eventually implement syncing but the need should be much less and we should wait until the architecture is fully fleshed out.

Vidman

No worries... My use case is I am running xbmb3c remotely....I work in a remote location for two weeks at a time and the bandwidth here is too low to stream from my home.

techywarrior

Why not copy the files to your location? Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

Some devices that's hard to do. Also, with a centralized system you can select items right from the MB client and then the server can transcode into a format your device can play natively, as well as adjust resolution to be more in line with what the device can play. And you also don't have to worry about having your files in multiple formats and sizes if you have an android tablet but a iOS phone (or whatever).

swhitmore

The idea is not really to download them remotely, rather download them while you're at home so that you can view videos while away e.g. copy videos to your tablet when at home so that you can watch them on the train to work without streaming.

Can't wait for this feature :D

Deihmos
swhitmore, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:59 PM, said:swhitmore, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:59 PM, said:

The idea is not really to download them remotely, rather download them while you're at home so that you can view videos while away e.g. copy videos to your tablet when at home so that you can watch them on the train to work without streaming.

Can't wait for this feature :D

I understand that for a mobile phone or some mobile device on a local network. Plex has the same feature. Not sure why you would sync files to a non mobile device though. Better off just copying the files that you need.

Edited by Deihmos

xbmc is a little unique because it runs on just about anything. so even though you can just copy the files, maybe you want to get them a little smaller so you can fit more. so that's where re-encoding will help.

• Like 1

Vidman

Why not copy the files to your location? Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

How do I do that when I am 2000km from home?

Vidman

xnappo (and other devs) - you can follow the discussion here. But, as I said, this will be primarily a mobile client feature so your strategy to wait is sound.

Not saying clients such as this can't eventually implement syncing but the need should be much less and we should wait until the architecture is fully fleshed out.

I am actually running xbmc on an ouya.....I also have the android client on it but it has a few issues

• 3 months later...

The next server release will introduce a major new feature. after that, sync will be at the top of the list again.

• Like 2

Do you have some informations about how this feature works ?

For example with Plex Sync you can choose quality and how many unwatch movies / tv shows you want. For phone with smart storage it's a great option.

Will it be automatically ? For example every time there is a new episode unwatched it will launch sync ?