MBC crashes while playing 1 movie file

legallink
Go to solution Solved by legallink,

legallink

but does fine with the rest of the files from the same collection/box set.

I've got server logs.  The mediabrowser server web interface plays the movie fine, as does vlc, as does mediabrowser theater.  I'm not very good at reading the server logs, as I have no idea what I am looking for, but I have attached one.  The original is not attached as it was too big, so I shrunk and deleted all the information prior to me attempting to play the file.

It appears that an FFMPEG session opens, which I'm not sure why it does....I am using MBC on the same machine that the server is located on.

If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks again!

transcode-7670d92f-09c1-47e6-ba97-5357906df2ba.txt

server-63541493752 - mini.txt

Please define "crashes" and also see the How to report a problem post - specifically in the area of what to provide if MBC crashes.  An MBC log would be helpful as well.

If the server is transcoding it is likely a configuration problem - but the client shouldn't "crash" in any instance. 

legallink

Sorry ebr.  I'll try and make it a littel clearer.

By crashing, I mean a total client crash.  When I press play on the file, it brings up the player, then nothing happens, then at some point it switches to the normal WMC player, and if I try to fast forward, rewind, whatever, it then closes and goes back to the desktop, and then reboots WMC to the WMC home screen.

At the end, it shows "Windows Media Center has stopped working"

MBC log attached.

MBC version 3.0.195.0 7-14.1

Server version: Version 3.0.5309.26857

MBClassic-21720149bc301a9e7e94763ba6b6627f963edb8.log

Is there an error in the Windows Event Log?

Sounds like WMC itself is crashing which likely means it is either a codec or graphics card issue.  What is different about this movie from a technical details standpoint?

legallink

From a technical standpoint on the file, there is no difference as far as I am aware.  I have a box set of Blu-rays for the harry potter set, this is number 6 of the box set.....ripped all with the same software, settings, etc.  It's an MKV made with makemkv....so, from my standpoint, fairly brainless from the user side...which helps, because I am brainless often.

What's odd is theater plays it, vlc plays it, the browser player plays it, just not MBC.

I checked in the Windows Logs for Application, and it is an event ID 1000 and 1001 (it throws two events, an Application Error and a Windows Error Reporting).

Windows Event Log.txt

legallink

I tried to re-rip and have the same problem.  I'm baffled. I even deleted all the metadata and had it repopulate to see if that was doing anything...nothing....thoughts?

What is this?

Faulting module name: wmpeffects.dll, version: 12.0.7601.1751

legallink

it looks like a windows dll....I'm not really sure.  When I google it, nothing of substance comes up.

Edited by legallink

legallink

Tried the hotfix...sadly, that isn't it.

Did some reading, updated video drivr, but no luck there either.  Might have to revert to the DVD on this one...just so odd, as it is one in a series.

Edited by legallink

legallink

quick update.....this is the only disc in the file that has True Audio as the audio format, all the other ones have LPCM and DD.  I'm going to try ripping it with out the True Audio track and see how that goes.

• Solution
legallink

Problem solved from the playback side.....the TrueHD audio track is what made it crash.  Removed it from the rip, and voila, the file played correctly.  I'm not sure why that audio track made it crash, but I'll tackle that tomorrow.

• Like 1

Okay, that's what I suspected when I asked about different technical details.  Your codecs on the WMC side simply could not deal with that audio track.

legallink

Sorry about the rigormoral.  I didn't notice the different previously until I tried to re-rip.  Thanks for the patience.  I feel like the title of Chief Bottle Washer should be changed to Chief Diaper Changer in dealing with the newbs!