Can't start MBC - Invalid Application

vanleeuwen

vanleeuwen

HI,

This just happened, no changes to my system were made before it happened.

I start MB3 and it logs in and I can see my collections but no videos are shown  then Media Centre says Invalid Application and only lets me click OK to exit MB3.

I tried uninstall/reinstall all MB programs with no luck. Did it again and removed all plug-ins still no luck.

Running MB Clasic 3.0.195.0.7-14.1
Server 3.0.5309.26857

MBC3 Log attached, Event Viewer log:

Exception System.InvalidOperationException: Error evaluating path 'Item.PhysicalParent.ItemTypeString'. The 'PhysicalParent' member on 'MediaBrowser.Library.Item' returned 'null' and evaluation could not continue.

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ObjectPath.Get(Object instance, Int32 idxStart, Int32 nCount, Boolean fErrorOnNullReturn, Boolean fThrowOnError)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Equality.Evaluate(IRulesHost rulesHost)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.RuleCollection.Update(IRulesHost rulesHost)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.ViewBlueprint.Build(Object objContext, Object objRoot)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Host.OnPreInitialize()

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker()

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.DeliverInitializations()

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.ImplementUiTask(UiTask task, Object param)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiZone.ProcessUiTask(UiTask task, Object param)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiSession.ProcessInitialization()

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue)

at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue, LoopCondition condition)

at MediaCenter.Extensibility.Host.Main(String[] args)

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

Mike

MBClassic-2372014eac2914b774f4d8aa64e60077efaabe6.log

server-63541733001.zip

Edited by vanleeuwen

Sven

It's MBClassis that doesn't work? Or MB Server itself?

You can browse to the web client?

Could you please also provide the log for MB Server itself?

vanleeuwen

Hi, Server log added to original post. Not sure what the issue is. MB Classic has a media centre error but the web version doesn't seem to 100% as well. I can see some stuff but images etc are missing. Not sure if its always like that as I haven't used the web version before.

Thanks

M

I don't see any significant errors on either end.

Let's start with the web client and the setup on the server and, on a hunch, concentrate on TV.  Is anything not looking right over there?  Can you provide some screen shots?  Did you recently add any new TV?  Anything look strange about that?

I'm getting this as well all of a sudden and I believe its sometype of theme error. Anytime i switch to square or rush I get this error and cant get back in. I manually removed both dll's and tried chocolate,classic, xenon all work fine.

• Like 1

Server Version 3.0.5309.26857

Classic Version Version 3.0.195.0 7-14.1

Yep media center error in the event log.

- <System>
  <Provider Name="ehExtHost" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-24T14:49:07.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>25768</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Media Center</Channel>
  <Computer>EchoBase</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>Exception System.ArgumentException: Provided value NextUp was not listed as an option. at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Choice.set_Chosen(Object value) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.FastPropertyInfo.FastClrPropertyInfo.SetValue(Object obj, Object value) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ObjectPath.PropertyOperations.Set(Object instance, Object value, String stPath) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Set.ApplyWorker(Object args) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.RuleCollection.Update(IRulesHost rulesHost) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Template.ViewBlueprint.Build(Object objContext, Object objRoot) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Host.OnPreInitialize() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.DeliverInitializations() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.ImplementUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiZone.ProcessUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiSession.ProcessInitialization() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue, LoopCondition condition) at MediaCenter.Extensibility.Host.Main(String[] args)</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
Edited by BAS

Cheesegeezer

@@BAS which theme is that you are in.... looks like that might be Square as it's the only other theme that uses next up.

Soultaker

BAS not sure what your issue is, but the OP it looks like physical parent is null and therefore Square bombs out. So questions is what's changed that the physical parent is no longer returning useful data?

EDIT

OP is not even using Square. The plot thickens....

Edited by Soultaker

Well i have also attempted it with Rush and it does the same thing but has no next up feature.

Soultaker

@@BAS One thing I can think of is, that when displaying images for the TV in the RAL on the respective EHS, the themes use the physical parent item to get the poster image to display. Again if physical parent is null then this would bomb out across themes. Especially when you consider neither theme has been updated in over a month.

I think we may actually be dealing with two separate issues here.  For the first one, my original instructions to the OP still stand.

For the one reported by BAS, I have an idea...

@@Cheesegeezer - in Xenon, you added your own type of RAL of "Next Up" right?  You didn't try to store that value in the standard config  property for RecentItemOption did you?

Because other themes may be expecting specific values there and not handling it well when it is one they don't understand.  I think Chocolate will handle it and default to Latest but some themes might bomb on an unexpected value there...

Just a guess so sorry if this is off-base.

Think your onto something EBR, I erased all plugins and configs for them. I also erased my MBCommonXml file, wallah I'm back up and running. CHEEEEEESE!!!!!!!

Cheesegeezer

@@Cheesegeezer - in Xenon, you added your own type of RAL of "Next Up" right?  You didn't try to store that value in the standard config  property for RecentItemOption did you?

Because other themes may be expecting specific values there and not handling it well when it is one they don't understand.  I think Chocolate will handle it and default to Latest but some themes might bomb on an unexpected value there...

Just a guess so sorry if this is off-base.

Let me explain how this works.  It's custom, correct, but it's something that only the xenon theme should read. I've set up a couple of properties.

TVShowRAL and NonTVShow RAL.  These are stored in the XenonDisplay.xml independent of the core displayprefs.

When the user is in the TV Show folder and selects Upcoming TV.. TVShowRAL property is set to "UpcomingTV" and the same for all other types of RAL, such as NEW, (un)watched, watched, Next Up. When the user moves away from a TV Show folder the properties that are set are then put into the NonTVShowRAL and as the user moves along his collection this property is read on each Changed event for the Folder.

Does that sound like it would cause and issue?

So you are not reading or updating RecentItemOption at all?

What it looks like to me is happening is something is putting "NextUp" into Application.RecentItemOption (maybe it isn't xenon, but I thought you were the only one with that as a RAL option).  Then, some themes are trying to set a Choice object with the value of RecentItemOption and it contains "NextUp" which is not one of their valid choices.

Cheesegeezer

So you are not reading or updating RecentItemOption at all?

What it looks like to me is happening is something is putting "NextUp" into Application.RecentItemOption (maybe it isn't xenon, but I thought you were the only one with that as a RAL option).  Then, some themes are trying to set a Choice object with the value of RecentItemOption and it contains "NextUp" which is not one of their valid choices.

Nope using my own RAL option updates. Not tapping into the core at all.

Okay, maybe it wasn't xenon then.  Something appears to have put 'NextUp' into RecentItemOption.

BAS, can you re-produce this?  What happens if you use Xenon and select next up as your RAL option and then switch to square?  Any other themes you were testing that might have done this?

Reproduced by setting Xenon RAL list to upcoming and then trying to switch back to Square from that point causes error.

Cheesegeezer

Thats strange.. Xenon is independent of any core features.

Cheesegeezer

I need to bang heads with Jas tomorrow on skype. We'll sort this, but @@ebr there should be something in the core to handle this. Or is it theme specific. Problem is... API is open to all, any theme devs can tap into it and we certainly don't have access to each others code. Maybe a safety net might be useful. I'm not sure how easy this is to implement.

I feel like its my fault, but on the other hand, i'm not using core functions so fail to see how it is.

I do have the toggle turned on for Next Up feature in Square but switching to Next Up in Xenon never produced the problem. It only seemed to appear when switching to Upcoming in Xenon, and leaving it on that sort before exiting.

Cheesegeezer

I'm still baffled how one theme influences the other.. My RAL strips are all custom and dont interfere with core functions. Setting next up produces its own scroller as does Upcoming TV. Nothing is tied into the RAL.

I cant actually speak with Jas tomorrow as i'm busy getting dunked in a helicopter for my offshore refresher but i will chat with him as soon as i can.

There isn't anything the core can do in this particular case.  The issue is that Square appears to have a "Choice" object that is initialized with the value that is in (I'm guessing) Application.RecentItemOption.  If you try to set a Choice to a value that isn't valid for that choice, it will throw an exception so that must be accounted for in the theme to be safe.

Of course, a lot of that is conjecture but that sure looks like what is happening.

Cheese - check your code for any binding to RecentItemOption on either Application or Config.

vanleeuwen

without any action mine just started working again. Strange ! its like there was a problem reading a drive as all the items on one drive didn't have images etc but the other drives files where all ok. I could open the affected drive and see all files, play them, no errors etc so not sure what happened. Maybe time for a refresh of system.

Cheesegeezer

There isn't anything the core can do in this particular case.  The issue is that Square appears to have a "Choice" object that is initialized with the value that is in (I'm guessing) Application.RecentItemOption.  If you try to set a Choice to a value that isn't valid for that choice, it will throw an exception so that must be accounted for in the theme to be safe.

Of course, a lot of that is conjecture but that sure looks like what is happening.

Cheese - check your code for any binding to RecentItemOption on either Application or Config.

Will do ;)