App Suggestions

arche

arche

I have had it with plex and there screwed up software updates making things worse by the minute. So I am uninstalling Plex and trying to find a app that I can connect to Media Browser with. My main issue is I need to be able to change ports. My girlfriend connects from work, but they (her work) block everything except for port 80. Anyone have any suggestions that I could go with.

Thanks

swhitmore

What device are you using? You can find the list of Media Browser apps here. Port 80 is the HTTP port. I would avoid using this for anything.

Edited by swhitmore

arche

Right now I need it to work with my android phone and/or tablet. MB3 app only good for local network use and since I am never home, kind of useless to me at the moment. I mean, most networks I connect to so that I can access my server via WAN are blocking streaming so I always port forward to 80. Never have a issue then.

swhitmore

Why can't use use the Android app? As far as I'm aware it can be used over the internet.

arche

I agree with that, as long as you are using the default port. I am at different locations when I connect and most places are now blocking different ports so that you cannot connect to outside servers unless you connect via port 80, 443, etc. Until the next version of the MB3 app comes out, I cannot use it for my purposes. Trying to find a app like it that I can change the default port to connect to my MB3 server with.

swhitmore

There are no other android MB3 apps besides the official one.

You can change the port MB3 uses, and add a DDNS here:

53d0a8a4dc119_Capture.jpg

arche

I understand that part, but there is a bug in the app that when changing the port, it is not saving the port change. Hope this explains what I am referring too http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8444-port-changes-back-to-default/?hl=port

I can connect with some other apps like BubbleUPnP app, but I believe I have to install there server version to change the port. But I could be wrong too. This app works locally, but no port option I believe on the app to change.

swhitmore

I was under the impression that was only an issue if the server port was different from the port the app is connecting with (via a proxy). Regardless, RedShirt is aware of the bug and is fixing it.

arche

No biggie, just trying to figure out how to bypass this port blocking on the client side. Not sure if URL redirection will work or something else. Knowing my luck, I will figure it out and the update will be released and I will have pulled out what hair I have left out already...