UI updates coming along...

darwindeeds

darwindeeds

There has been some UI redesigns that we are working on... Let us know what you think.

53d1c633cb0bc_MovieDetail.png53d1c64c7b0ed_iPadPlayer.png

• Like 8

darwindeeds

Thanks Luke. We are pretty working on the changes for the next feature update. I was going to make a blog post with all the information about the updates and UI designs then. :) 

• Like 1

AdrianW

Something more important I think: where did you get hold of those two movies? I need both of them, now! 

Ergo Proxy

Something more important I think: where did you get hold of those two movies? I need both of them, now! 

Like Darwin said, I just used images available to mockup the look and feel of the UI :)

• Like 2

Redshirt

Darwin is using the text rating since not all countries use MPAA ratings.

Koleckai Silvestri

Looks good.. Looks it iPad 4:3 ratio though. What does it look like on the iPhone?

darwindeeds

Good point Wayne, there will be some redesign we need to reduce the size of the image or remove it to make way for player controls. But the idea is to port as much as we can to the iPhone, which means minimal changes.

• Like 1

Necker

Yes but every country has there own rating icons so you could use those if available, and if not then use the text.

Ergo Proxy

Looks really cool. A couple of suggestions though:

Use the MPAA rating icons instead of just text

Use the logo icon in place of the title

Also, this is probably asking too much, but when you click on the rotten tomatos score do you get a pop up with the critic reviews?

Hey  Necker, thanks for the feedback.

I tried MPAA ratings, but at that size not legible. Logos for title, personally don't like the idea, but can have a look.

We want to use fanart in a way which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and adds to the UI. I've seen themes where every possible form of fanart is added to a page. I don't think you need 5-6 indicators to tell you what you are watching/looking at. It also adds too much visual noise to the UI.

Our current layout, which is being revised, focuses on not thinking too much on what to do next and also allowing the user to scan the page quickly. Over time this will be refined further reducing visual noise and also allowing for any new features in MB Server to be added.

However, if we think a certain form of fanart will add to the UI/UX we're happy to add the elements. But, above all, it has to be balanced and work. :)

• Like 2

Necker

Looks really cool. A couple of suggestions though:

Use the MPAA rating icons instead of just text

Use the logo icon in place of the title

Also, this is probably asking too much, but when you click on the rotten tomatos score do you get a pop up with the critic reviews?

Necker

I tried MPAA ratings, but at that size not legible.

Could you not make it bigger and put in next to the title? Just a thought.

Logos for title, personally don't like the idea, but can have a look.

We want to use fanart in a way which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and adds to the UI. I've seen themes where every possible form of fanart is added to a page. I don't think you need 5-6 indicators to tell you what you are watching/looking at. It also adds too much visual noise to the UI.

Our current layout, which is being revised, focuses on not thinking too much on what to do next and also allowing the user to scan the page quickly. Over time this will be refined further reducing visual noise and also allowing for any new features in MB Server to be added.

However, if we think a certain form of fanart will add to the UI/UX we're happy to add the elements. But, above all, it has to be balanced and work. :)

Yes I agree with your thinking here, its just a case of deciding what fanart works best for each view. For example it would be interesting to see what the 'art' image or even the disc image would look like in place of the folder on the video player screen.

Overall I like the new design particularly the fact that the backdrops are now visible. Was not a fan of the blured effect. Can't wait to see the other views.

denethor

I like the new design. But...You know it is human nature to ask for more :) So here you go:

Nowaday We all love clean UI. I think this one is little crowded. To simplify; add trailers button functions to to play button it self. (Pop-up: Play Title, Local Trailer, Internet Trailer 1,2 etc)

Remove watched indicator/button. Instead use different colour for play button for watched items. Now we saved 2 buttons.

For artists and chapter move to Metro like UI (like in Android version). Scroll left for Cast&Crew and chapter images. Or even add detailed rotten tomato reviews and other backdrops to metro.

Now we have one and only play button for main UI which is clean, super clean  B) But you need make that button super cool  ;)

Edited by denethor

I like the new design. But...You know it is human nature to ask for more :) So here you go:

Nowaday We all love clean UI. I think this one is little crowded. To simplify; add trailers button functions to to play button it self. (Pop-up: Play Title, Local Trailer, Internet Trailer 1,2 etc)

Remove watched indicator/button. Instead use different colour for play button for watched items. Now we saved 2 buttons.

For artists and chapter move to Metro like UI (like in Android version). Scroll left for Cast&Crew and chapter images. Or even add detailed rotten tomato reviews and other backdrops to metro.

Now we have one and only play button for main UI which is clean, super clean  B) But you need make that button super cool  ;)

I don't believe this is crowded at all. I've thought about the trailer button idea before for other apps, but the problem is then you can't tell if there's a trailer or not without clicking the button. For example, you just want to watch the trailer without playing the movie. if there's no trailer and no resume, the play button is going to jump straight into the movie. so now if you just want to play a trailer, you basically have to just click the play button, see what happens, and if you realize it's the full movie then stop it.

• Like 1

denethor

For example, you just want to watch the trailer without playing the movie. if there's no trailer and no resume, the play button is going to jump straight into the movie. so now if you just want to play a trailer, you basically have to just click the play button, see what happens, and if you realize it's the full movie then stop it.

I don' t get it.

Play button will pop-up 3 items. Just like the current "Trailer" button: Play Movie, Play Local Trailer, Play Internet Trailer.

If there is no trailer available for the item then it will just pop-up with one item "Play Movie"

I don' t get it.

Play button will pop-up 3 items. Just like the current "Trailer" button: Play Movie, Play Local Trailer, Play Internet Trailer.

If there is no trailer available for the item then it will just pop-up with one item "Play Movie"

Right. but then for a lot of content you're going to have to press play twice. i'm not saying that's bad. just listing pros and cons.

• Like 2

denethor

Right. but then for a lot of content you're going to have to press play twice. i'm not saying that's bad. just listing pros and cons.

You are right. This leads us one more request then ;) Make that button intelligent, if there is no trailer available just start playing the movie.

You are right. This leads us one more request then ;) Make that button intelligent, if there is no trailer available just start playing the movie.

Which brings me back to my point. You just want to play trailers to help decide what you want to watch. So now you have no choice but to click the play button, see what happens, and stop the movie if there's no trailer.

• Like 2

denethor

Which brings me back to my point. You just want to play trailers to help decide what you want to watch. So now you have no choice but to click the play button, see what happens, and stop the movie if there's no trailer.

Oops. I just noticed the problem you are trying to explain.

Now I am out of options :(

I may not want to accidentally start movies without trailers.

Koleckai Silvestri

I'd hate that myself. Interface controls should not change to infer state. Using color to infer state is bad usability for visually impaired. And yes, before someone says it, blind people watch, or rather listen to, movies as well. Hiding things in popups is just a bad.