Same Stream Two Devices not working right

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Ok so here is what I mean.

I started watching the Disney channel in my bedroom on a Roku. Well I went to another room an hour later and tried to start watching the same channel on another Roku. It started playing from the beginning of the stream that the original Roku started instead of at the current time/Live TV. SO to make sure it wasn't an error I went to my desktop and launched the same channel on it. Same issue. Has anyone dealt with this before? What I expected to happen was when I clicked the channel it picked up at the current location/time and not from the beginning. I would appericate any help as I am trying to make this a Whole house solution and ditching my cable companies DVR boxes.

mediacowboy

I will be happy to provide logs but I think this is reproducible. I am running the latest media browser server, beta roku client, and serverwmc.

Sven

Could you check if your transcoding-temp folder is empty?

In the webclient on the homepage, you can find under "System Paths" the location of that folder.

Check if this is empty... If not delete the files inside that folder.

Be sure nobody is watching anything..

mediacowboy

Will do that tonight, but doesn't that just clean out the cache? What I am talking about is watching the same channel on two different devices at different times. So for example the wife starts watching channel A in the bedroom at 8 pm and then I start watch channel A in the living room at 9 pm. While she is still watching in the bedroom. When I start watching channel A it starts from where the 8 PM time when she started and not where I started watching at 9. Does that make sense? 

Edited by mediacowboy

Sven

Could be. :)

Also upload your logs please. So we can check that...

See for the how to in my signature....

I noticed maybe something like that but I am not sure. If that is the case I need to check with @@Luke

Edited by Sven

krustyreturns

Interesting, MBS is not asking serverwmc to start the second stream it is doing it itself using the already running stream.  I could have sworn it didn't used to work this way.  Anyway, it makes sense for MBS to do this - so long as you are viewing the same channel - since it doesn't tie up a second tuner (actually serverwmc won't tie up a second tuner either in this case - but that's moot now). 

The problem is MBS is not starting playback at the right time, just like you said. 

mediacowboy

I am willing to help test or whatever to fix this issue. Like I said earlier I will get some clean logs tonight.

mediacowboy

Here are the log file's that I am seeing. I did not wait as long as I did when I first noticed this issue, but the issue is still present even for the short amount of time.

Please let me know if there is anything else.

server-63541919808.txt

transcode-c88ef36a-94de-4a1d-8a29-e473d1894437.txt

transcode-cc9a26a7-9ed4-4eb7-a7f3-5fc7df076a52.txt

Edited by mediacowboy

spankys97

I would like the answer to this too.  I am having the same problem. 

I am running server 3.0.5322 and if I am streaming live tv channel 12 to my phone and my wife trys to stream live tv channel 13  to her phone only the channel 12 will start playing from the beginning of where I started watching.  It appears the server is making a recording of channel 12 and just replaying it to her phone, even though she has selected a different channel.  I have a 4 tuner ceton card and in a previous version of MB3 all four tuners could be streaming separate live channels at the same time.  You all have a great product and thank you very much for it, but just wanted to let you know of a problem.  Thank you

krustyreturns

Actually mediacowboy was saying it only happened if the same channel was streamed, so it doesn't seem like it is the same.  If its happening on different channels for you, please post a serverwmc log after the two streams are started.  If it is a long log, post the times the two streams are started too.

mediacowboy

Any progress on this? I know all of you are extremely busy so any time spent so far and in the future is a big appreciation. The reason I ask is I am playing with the idea of getting another Roku for my kids bedroom and can see this being a issue.

krustyreturns

I have been testing this problem today and in my test case I have two chrome clients, both clients running on the same machine, which is the same machine as MBS. 

1) If I start one channel in the first browser, it starts fine (swmc streams the requested channel to MBS, which streams it to chrome). 

2) While this is going, in the second browser, I start a live stream on a different channel.  This second browser just starts playing the same stream as in the first browser, starting at the same time the first browser started at, and swmc does not get a second request to start a stream (and obviously it should).

3) if I then stop the stream in one of the browsers, both stream stop playing, and the original stream is stopped in swmc.

4) so in this state swmc is not sending any streams and both chrome clients have stopped streams.

5) Now even more strangely, if I now start a stream in either client, on ANY channel, it just starts playing the original channel stream starting at the same position - it does not request a stream from swmc at all.  So the original stream is being cached somewhere and that is all mbs will play unless I restart MBS.

This is with MBS 3.0.5324.37963

krustyreturns

Also I am hoping this bug gets resolved by letting serverwmc handle all the live stream management, even in the case of two clients viewing the same channel.  This will solve the start time problem that your original post was about.

Dazik

I have been testing this problem today and in my test case I have two chrome clients, both clients running on the same machine, which is the same machine as MBS. 

1) If I start one channel in the first browser, it starts fine (swmc streams the requested channel to MBS, which streams it to chrome). 

2) While this is going, in the second browser, I start a live stream on a different channel.  This second browser just starts playing the same stream as in the first browser, starting at the same time the first browser started at, and swmc does not get a second request to start a stream (and obviously it should).

3) if I then stop the stream in one of the browsers, both stream stop playing, and the original stream is stopped in swmc.

4) so in this state swmc is not sending any streams and both chrome clients have stopped streams.

5) Now even more strangely, if I now start a stream in either client, on ANY channel, it just starts playing the original channel stream starting at the same position - it does not request a stream from swmc at all.  So the original stream is being cached somewhere and that is all mbs will play unless I restart MBS.

This is with MBS 3.0.5324.37963

Confirmed the exact same with MBS Version 3.0.5309.26857.

mediacowboy

That for two different channels but I wonder if it is the same issue

Vicpa

Hi

I tested this scenario and had similar but slightly different results. Starting a live stream on two different machines, different channels  (IE11) seemed fine. Got the right channels etc. I attempted to open a third stream, different Channel in another browser on one of the machines and got results as described above. The stream started playing the temp transcode file from the beginning (start) of the file streaming in the other window. Stopping the playback shut down the stream in both browsers but did not delete the temp transcode file.

After that a request for a live stream played nothing but the transcode temp file. Needed to restart the server and it deleted the temp file. Couldn't delete the temp file from the filesystem as the server had it locked.

It seems like the common denominator between the OP, same Channel  two devices and same device two different streams is the various clients correctly requesting the stream to stop and the server deleting the temp file.

This is just a guess and I am not sure whether the server can differentiate two browsers on the same machine as different clients.

Hope the above makes sense and helps troubleshooting efforts.

krustyreturns

That for two different channels but I wonder if it is the same issue

It sure seems like it is.