DLNA: does a renderer's capabilities depend on its properties or purely on the profile used?

Jvtm

Hello MB3 community. I've been wondering about this for a while so I thought I'd post it here. I primarily use two different renderers at home and have noticed that they each have different playback capabilities. My Sony BluRay player allows me to pause and then resume playback no matter how long I leave it on pause for. Additionally I can control its volume from the browser interface no problem.

My Philips Tv however will not allow me to pause for more than about a minute before hitting play does nothing and I'm forced to basically start the movie over again because of course I can't ff or rw. Both are connected via a gigabit Ethernet router to the server.

My question if these differences in functionality have to do with how the devices each implement dlna or if it has to do with how the generic profile in MBS interfaces with each. I don't have dedicated profiles for either of them. Ideally I'd be able to do everything I can on the Sony on the Philips.Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BATTLE DONKEY

Beuller?

Lmao I don't have an answer for u but u just gave me a good laugh. One of the developers will have to chime in here to give u an answer on that. Thanks for the laugh tho

• Like 1

it could be either.  unfortunately with dlna you can't just implement the protocol and call it a day. you can't really call a device supported until you've tested on it. so the devices that work well are a reflection of what the dev team has available for testing. it'll take someone with the same devices as you and the know how to get to the bottom of it.

Glad I could give you a chuckle. @@Luke I'm not a programmer but Id be willing to help if it would benefit the wider community. I have a macmini with W7 running MBC attached to this TV so dlna isn't a must have for me right now but in the future if I can do away with the mac it would be a plus.