Licensing issue?

Chris Jones

Chris Jones

I tried searching the forum for this but may have missed it. Mediabrowser server is under the GPL licence? I can't see anywhere that says that at least common interfaces are a less restricted licence, which means all plugins that reference any interface/class from mediabrowser must also be under the GPL and provide access to the source code? It then also wouldn't be possible to charge for the plugins either.

Just thought I'd raise it in case it's been overlooked.

Thanks

Chris Jones

ok, it does however force you to provide access to the source code under the GPL meaning people don't have to pay for it. It may also mean a lot of people are put off developing plugins because they can't keep the code private or they can't choose their own license.

Would there be any issues with making shared code LGPL instead? or if that would cover too much, splitting out just the shared interfaces/code into a separate project that is at least LGPL (or less restrictive such as MIT)? I'll clarify I'm not asking for the whole project to change from GPL.

Plug-ins are separate modules. It is my understanding that this means they are not governed by the license of the server.

At least, this is how we have interpreted it for the past several years.