Special at the wrong place

Debug Mode

Debug Mode

So I've got a special, which is supposed to appear before season 3, episode 15 and after season 2 (E14, S01, E15), but it appears at the season's end.

Any idea what's wrong?

hoxtonia

You can edit where it appears by opening the special episode in the metadata manager - scroll down to the special episode info and set where you want it to appear - before or after a specific season or before a specific episode...

Debug Mode

You can edit where it appears by opening the special episode in the metadata manager - scroll down to the special episode info and set where you want it to appear - before or after a specific season or before a specific episode...

That's what I did.

Airs before season: 3

Airs after season: 2

Airs before episode: 15

hoxtonia

You only need to fill out one of those fields - so I would clear out the airs before season and airs after season and just leave as airs before episode 15

Debug Mode

"Airs before episode" alone doesn't work (then again I have multiple seasons).

Together with "Airs before season" it won't appear.

Together with "Airs after season" it'll appear at the season's end.

hoxtonia

Are the episodes named in accordance with the tvdb listing? Is episode 15 actually Season 03 episode 1? What's the name of the show?

the rules mimic tvdb as those three fields are available for editing on tvdb episode pages. it can get a little complicated. best bet is to look at one that is working and use that as an example, then make sure to test within the web client before looking at other clients.

Debug Mode

I got it now, but it's really odd. To appear in the middle of season 2 (14<S>15), it has to be set to air before season 2.

• 5 months later...
andcbii

I'm having a similar problem with Battlestar Galactica (2003). I've let MB scan the library and fill out all the Metadata. I've verified the data is correct, but the order is wrong. 

54c796cb2d55c_theplan.png

In MB The Plan is set to Airs After Season 4 but it it showing as the first episode. 

54c797270619b_Razor.png

Similar issue for Razor and the Minisodes. They are showing at the start of season 3 and not the end. This what TVDB has

54c79759a9365_tvdb1.png

54c79768371a4_tvdb2.png

the algorithm works but relies on correct metadata. check to make sure all episodes, but regular and specials have the correct season and episode numbers listed in the metadata manager.

andcbii

the algorithm works but relies on correct metadata. check to make sure all episodes, but regular and specials have the correct season and episode numbers listed in the metadata manager.

Season number

Episode number

Dvd season number

Dvd episode number

are all correct

andcbii

possibly, for BSG 00x01 and 00x02 are actually the first episodes so those look correct to me. It's all the other 00xEE that are showing at the start of the season and not the end. 

i can confirm this just for the metadata manager, but it's displaying correctly when browsing seasons in the library.

at least, it's display at end of season 3, rather than the beginning of season 4.  we're not going to change it to display at the beginning of season 4 because it will break other special episodes. (we have been down this road before). I have coordinated with fatal from metabrowser on the algorithm to display the episodes, and we are following tvdb documentation:

http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special_Episodes

Since tvdb is returning Airs After Season 3 for the Razor episode, it appears at the end of Season 3, because according to documentation

This method is employed by setting the Airs After Season field. You simply choose the season after which the episode airs. This is generally only intended for use with specials that occur after a series has ended its regular run. If this field is set, it will override the Airs Before field.  

Output examples
  • After the Airs After Season field is set you will see output similar to this Punk'd - Season 8 page

For what it's worth, I don't think the tvdb website is following the spec exactly. It's the only explanation I can think of for Razor appearing at the beginning of Season 4 as opposed to the end of Season 3. At some point along the way they must have updated their own website but forgot about the documentation. However, this is a black box and we're not going to play a guessing game. Until they update the documentation, that's what you get.

ginjaninja

http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=API:Base_Episode_Record

seems different from

http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special_Episodes

seems diffferent from

battle star galactica example above Airs before is not an integer but a full season/episode reference 04x01 in this example..

So all in all its very confusing..

@@Luke

Please can you confirm how MB3 (and metabrowser) intend

• airs before season
  • airs after season
  • airs before episode

to work, So we can at least get it functioning for our own use...i dont think special positioning is working either...but theres no point reporting further until its confirmed how it should be working..(or do we need to just wait until TVDB clarifies their intention?)

thank you

andcbii

i can confirm this just for the metadata manager, but it's displaying correctly when browsing seasons in the library.

I was positive it was happening in both the library and the metadata manager, but after a server restart the library is now working as expected. It's confusing that's its listed differently in the manager but not really a problem. 

andcbii

@@Luke

I figured out where else i was seeing this wrong. The iOS app isn't sorting correctly (at least for me). See screen shots:

For BSG season 3 Razor shows first and then all the Minisodes

1_zpsr3idafvz.png

2_zpsutsa7yik.jpg

For Doctor Who Series 5 the TARDIS specials are listed before episode 1

3_zpsg2gpdegt.png

Looks correct on the site:

4_zpspakamjun.png

• 4 weeks later...
nickyrat

I'm having the exact same issue. Specifically with Doctor Who and all of the pre- and post- season Specials.

Originally they sorted just fine, and showed up where they needed to. But in the past few weeks each seasons specials show up ot of order at the beginnin of the season no matter what I do.

The odd thing is that they show up correctly using the website to view media.

But in the server view and WMC7/Mediabrowser they are incorrect.

I just restarted the server, and it is still incorrect in server view and WMC/Mediabrowser.

It shows up fine through the web client.

Is there a setting I need to change in the server view and/or in WMC?

fredg89

I skimmed through this, but they way I got this to work for me is to make sure the file is named right. Special doesn't seem to work for me, but if you go to the special tab on thetvdb then it list the episodes. Go in and label the episodes like this.

00x(episode number in special tab) - (file name).

nickyrat

fredg89, thank you for your response, but in my case it has nothing to do with how the file is named.

Each episode is tagged/linked up with the correct metadata, and it was displaying correctly before.

I'm not sure if a server update changed something, but now no matter what I do with the "before season, after season, after episode" etc., they are all listed out of order at the beginning of each respective season. They are incorrect in the Server/metadata manager view and in WMC/MB. On the website view, they show up correctly.

So, there must be a disconnect somewhere with how the server/manager view and WMC/MB see them, vs. how the website sees them.

For now, I have gone through and manually changed and locked each episode/season # so it shows up where I want them. But it would be nice to not have to do this in the future!

• 11 months later...

I found this topic by searching but I'm having the same issue on different clients, to be specific, I've named my specials correctly etc. All versions, including server on latest as of 02/09/2016

iPad Emby app - specials show properly among episodes

Android Emby app - specials show properly among episodes

Web app shows special properly

Windows 10 app - special show incorrectly, show at END of season

AndroidTV - specials show incorrectly, show at START of season

Bumping, let me know what info may be needed if I can assist but it looks like some clients are reading the info incorrectly from the server still.

Edit

I see this is the server forum, how do I share this for the clients without spamming? Should I just make entries in each one and link back here?

Edited by bayn

I found this topic by searching but I'm having the same issue on different clients, to be specific, I've named my specials correctly etc. All versions, including server on latest as of 02/09/2016

iPad Emby app - specials show properly among episodes

Android Emby app - specials show properly among episodes

Web app shows special properly

Windows 10 app - special show incorrectly, show at END of season

AndroidTV - specials show incorrectly, show at START of season

Bumping, let me know what info may be needed if I can assist but it looks like some clients are reading the info incorrectly from the server still.

If you don't mind please open topics in the sections for those two apps, so that the primary developers will see it, thanks.