Can we edit/create folder types?

Taomyn
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

Taomyn

I've added a folder on my server that contains a mixture of photos and video, and I have added it as folder type "Photos". But I still see the videos when I browse through the web interface. Is this expected behaviour as it doesn't make sense to me to have a folder type set to photos but to include non-photos.

What I really need are the following:

Folder: Movies Type: Movies only

Folder: TV Type: TV only

Folder: Photos Type: Mix of Photos and Videos

Folder: Misc Type: Photos only

Folder: Msic Type: Videos only

The last two point at the same folder, but I want them separated into Photo and Video categories as it makes it easier for me to go through them.

Can I achieve what I want?

swhitmore

Would it not be easier to separate the content and mix the collections where needed, instead of the other way around?

Taomyn

Would it not be easier to separate the content and mix the collections where needed, instead of the other way around?

Depends, my photo album where I have tens of thousands of files, many are a mix because it makes sense as the folder structure is by "subject matter".

swhitmore

Depends, my photo album where I have tens of thousands of files, many are a mix because it makes sense as the folder structure is by "subject matter".

Fair enough. I use tags for subject matter and sort by year and event.

Taomyn

So I'm still wondering what folder type "Photos" is for if it's going to include any non-photo files?

CBers

So I'm still wondering what folder type "Photos" is for if it's going to include any non-photo files?

My photos library has the type set to Photos - it contains around 30,000 photos and around 2,000 video clips.

They are all in a year/month/topic tree.

Seeing photos and related videos in the web client isn't an issue in my opinion.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Taomyn

My photos library has the type set to Photos - it contains around 30,000 photos and around 2,000 video clips.

They are all in a year/month/topic tree.

Seeing photos and related videos in the web client isn't an issue in my opinion.

Then what's the idea of a folder type? I agree in some places I do want to see both, but if I'm telling MB that this folder is Photos, shouldn't it ignore anything else?

• Solution
CBers

It was borne out of the photos plugin a while back.

Some clients will ignore video clips, some won't.

The type just tells MBS to ignore trying to fetch metadata, but check exif data instead.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Taomyn

Ok, maybe one day I'll think about restructuring my photos folders, but it's 10 years of files so not something I'm eager to do.