DS415Play Transcoding and User Permissions on Synology

jrhessey

jrhessey

Hey guys!  I just received my Synology DS415Play and I was wondering if there was a way to allow it to do the transcoding instead of my PC.  I did a little digging and found path substitution, but I couldn't get that to work at all.  Is it even possible to allow another device to transcode the video with mediabrowser?

I also can only create thumbnails if I enable guest access with read/write access to my shares that hold tv and movie files.  Is Mediabrowser creating these files under my pc username or under my mediabrowser username?  I'd like to create a username and give that one access to my directories so I can open up web access for the synology. I've attached the log file when it happened, but you just see access is denied everywhere it happens.  Hope it helps you out though!

Thanks for any help!

server-63542016000.txt

csimmo

This is something that I really want too, and its also something that Plex doesn't do with this kind of transcoding chip. From what I can see, 1/you have 3 options to get transcoding running with a NAS. Let the PC do it, get an Intel NUC and get it to do it, or beg the devs to utilize the NAS hardware, that has got everything available to do the job, to do it.

As mediabrowser is still very much in development, and not feature complete, I fear that this will be ignored for a while. Yet, like Live TV, this is a feature that would really pinch users from the competition!

it does look interesting, and it's coming from a big name.

well if someone wants to donate one, then i think support for that can be added.

I think there's a lot of potential in this for family usage. You buy a few of these, spread your transcoding around so that no single box is ever overly stressed.

csimmo

I will talk with my co worker and see if we can donate a 214 play. I help run a computer shop in Canberra and have some influence, plus if I throw a few of my own $ at it, I am happy to help

jrhessey

Plex doesn't need to have this built into their pc server software, they have a synology app you can install from the package center.  I honestly think that would be the better route to go if you guys could do that.

I ended figuring out my permissions problem.  I'm running it as a service, once I matched the service username and password to the synology, everything worked fine. 

FredipusRex

You might be interested in this forum thread for Serviio: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16921

Patters (a well known Synology community dev responsible for a number of great packages) is building a version of ffmpeg that uses the 214/415play's hardware decoder. It appears he's got most of it done. Consider ffmpeg is GNU licensed and Patters is a stickler for following license terms, you should be able to get a copy and/or collaborate.