Serenity for Android - Looking for java developers

Luke

Team,

The developer of this app has expressed interest in building a Media Browser version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.nineworlds.serenity&hl=en

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android

It is an android app designed strictly for television usage, on devices like Fire TV and Android TV. It's not an all-purpose app so it won't work for your smartphone or your tablet.

He's also asked me to try and get him a little help.  Are there any java developers here who might be interested in giving a hand? Please let me know.

53d879306c1e7_Untitled2.png

53d8793a060e3_Untitled1.png

Paid app with ads as well...?

No ta....

Although I'm not a dev so my opinion is pretty pointless!!!!!

Sent by lumia 1020 & Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

It looks nice from the video on the app store.

It will compete with Red's 10' GUI :)

Cheesegeezer

Not sure why this is posted, I know @@Redshirt is in the process of updating his full android app to include a 10ft GUI so it can be used on both handheld and TV/Projector screens.  

Why do we need another one that doesn't fullfil everything that Red's does. 

Seems a bit daft to me!

There's my 2 cents.  

• Like 6

@@Redshirt I wouldn't worry too much about it. The app lacks too much compared to yours. It doesn't transcode is a major one. How would this work to cast? Not very well because of that. It appears English isnt its primary focus look at the icon. The github page has a terrible engrish feel to it. The screen with rows of seating and movies/tvshows/search looks so clumsy. And why isn't it taking advantage of hiding the navigation bar? These are built for touch. Optimize the app to hide this should claim back visual real estate. I would not worry about this being more than a minor distraction. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

thefirstofthe300

Not sure why this is posted, I know @@Redshirt is in the process of updating his full android app to include a 10ft GUI so it can be used on both handheld and TV/Projector screens.  

Why do we need another one that doesn't fullfil everything that Red's does. 

Seems a bit daft to me!

There's my 2 cents.  

I am with Cheesegeezer here.  I am not sure why we would need another app for MB when Redshirt is in the middle of what should be a huge release.  With the 10' UI coming, the set-top box is becoming a front seat customer and I look forward to seeing what bug fixes Redshirt has for the mobile player.

Redshirt

Android doesn't have the easiest controls to work with. That Dev is doing what he can with what's available to him. From my own experiences I understand some of the decisions he's made.

arche

@@Redshirt

Although people around me have started using other app's "Temporarily" to connect to my MB3 server, they are waiting for your app to be done. They (including myself) see alot of potential in yours. I really don't see the point in the other app, but more power to those that have the time to customize there app's to work with multiple servers. Me personally, I like to keep things in-house and use software meant for each other.

Either way, MB3 and its app's have alot of growing to do and will get there soon enough. Keep up the good work guys...

Redshirt

The MediaBrowser project is free and open source. While I am not happy about the potential existance of another client. I have to acknowledge that this is one of the things that will make MB great. The fact that users will have freedom to choose which client they want to use.

Because this Serenity app has an existing codebase its possible its Dev could provide a 10' ui quicker than I can. Bad for me but great for the community.

I'm flattered that people are saying they don't want this as mine exists. I'll do my best to live up to that. But for now I'll just say welcome!

Also I've privately discussed with Luke the idea of myself working with another Dev to speed up my dev cycles. I've decided to go public and see if any devs bite.

• Like 14

im85288

Wow, a lot of harsh comments here for something that has not actually been released yet! It seems a lot of people can see the future and have already determined what/how/when this app would function if it is released. The whole point of open source is to encourage people to contribute, if someone expresses an interest to do that then I would say encourage them. Variety is the spice of life  :)

• Like 3

aspdend

Wow, a lot of harsh comments here for something that has not actually been released yet! It seems a lot of people can see the future and have already determined what/how/when this app would function if it is released. The whole point of open source is to encourage people to contribute, if someone expresses an interest to do that then I would say encourage them. Variety is the spice of life  :)

I agree - we should welcome all such developers and encourage them to develop these apps for the mediabrowser platform. the more choice we have for our systems the better imho...

• Like 1

im85288

Plus.. you never know when a dev may get run over by the proverbial bus...

Haha good quote from a psychic!

• 2 months later...