How to stream with regularly changing IP address?

DParsons

DParsons

The remote streaming of my movies works perfectly while my IP address remains the same. The problem is my ISP changes my IP address regulary. It is never the same for more than a couple of days. How can I remotely stream my content with a changing IP address. Is there a static address that can be assigned to my machine?

Edited by DParsons

Beardyname

There are a couple of tools out there, I believe the free tool from no-ip.com comes with a software to auto-update the address you get when the ip at home changes.

https://www.noip.com/free/

They offer a free service so It could not hurt to check them out :)

Other than that, to get a static IP you will probably have to contact your ISP and then give them some more money, So I personally would start with the no-ip thing, you can probably find some similar services out there but that's the only one i remembered from the top of my head.

• Like 4

christoph86

One thing you have to check is your router.  My previous router wouldn't allow any DDNS other than DynDNS which now costs some money ($25 a year I think).  If that is the case, you could install a dd-wrt firmware onto the router if it is compatible.  This can potentially brick your router if you don't do it correctly.  If you have an asus router, they include a free ddns account through them.  

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Beardyname is right on the money.  Unless you want to pay extra for a static IP, you will need to use a Dynamic DNS service of some kind.  As far as I know, No-IP is the only service out there with free options.

• Like 1

david3663

Yeah i use no-ip it works pretty good just be sure to update/manage host every month because it will become inactive for free accounts.

• Like 2

shaefurr

I use no-ip along with the DNS update client, which keeps your IP address updated, which also keeps the hostname from expiring every 30 days. 

My DSL IP for instance changes whenever the modem gets reset. Been using it about a year and havnt ever had to touch it and it works perfect.

• Like 2

blade005

I've used No-IP and DuckDNS for managing changing IP addresses for remote access with Media Browser.  Both are free and work well.

https://duckdns.org/

Both offer a client to run on your system that will check for any change in your IP address and adjust accordingly.  No-IP does require that you update your account every 30 days to maintain your free account. I haven't had that requirement with DuckDNS.

I tried and have stayed with DuckDNS recently because No-IP had issues with Microsoft and Proxy servers a few weeks back and my No-IP address was down for almost a week.  That was the one and only interruption in service in the 12 months that I have used it. But, DuckDNS seems to run just as well and is free.

Once you have an External DDNS address with whatever service you choose, enter it in the configuration section of the WebUI under SERVER -- SETTINGS -- ADVANCED -- EXTERNAL DDNS and SAVE.  You should have remote access with no problem then, even with ever changing IP address from your ISP.

• Like 1

navanod

Second DuckDNS, changed after using No-IP, the 30 day update was just a bit annoying, and DuckDNS has been solid for the last couple of months.

• Like 1

DParsons

Thanks for the responses everyone. I went with the DuckDNS solution and have been streaming movies already today. I don't know if there is a way to mark this issue as resolved, if there is let me know, so I can do that.