LiveTV Guide Loading Issues

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by moviefan,

moviefan

So I have been troubleshooting a LiveTV issue I was having on Roku for a while now thinking that the issue was specific to Roku.  Talk about it in this thread here:

The entire time I thought that my LiveTV setup was functioning fine because I am able to play channels normally via the browser.

However, a long while ago I stopped using any method of playing these channels besides clicking on the Channels tab and selecting the channel I wanted because the guide was pretty laggy.

In trying to perform more diagnosis of what was happening on Roku today I found that none of the other sections( besides the Channels tab) for LiveTV are working for me anymore, so I think this may be a bigger issue than just the Roku problem.  It all used to work fine before but I have no idea when it broke.

Channels tab still works normally and allows me to play videos.

But if I click on Upcoming features the screen is completely blank:

53da9a00eb192_mb.png

And if I click on Guide the screen just hangs at this point and actually seems to crash the browser:

53da9aef320fe_mb.png

As soon as I click guide the browser freezes and I am unable to click on anything on the screen until I kill the browser session.

I have tried this with both Chrome 36.0.1985.125 and Firefox 31.0 and the same thing happens both times.

Attached a server log.  I don't see any entries in ServerWMC log when this happens.

Edited by moviefan

• Solution
moviefan

In a strange turn of events everything seems to have resolved itself magically.

This issue has been persisting for a full week across at least five reboots of MBS and ServerWMC.

I had only tested the guide issue on one computer today (even with multiple browsers) and as I was sitting here tonight I thought maybe I would have different results on another computer so I attempted from my laptop and the guide opened up almost right away.  So I RDPd to the ServerWMC computer which is the one I had been testing from earlier and the guide loaded there too.

So then I went on Roku and tested and it worked in all three Roku apps.

I am pretty much at a loss as far as understanding what happened, and I really wish I understood in case it happens again;  but I am VERY HAPPY this is working now.  Just donated the $50 I promised in the Roku thread.  Hopefully that makes my annoying pestering about this issue a little easier to take.

Thanks everyone for trying to help!

Edited by moviefan

Thanks, that's very generous :)

By the way, in the above issue, i don't think it hanged. it just can be slow sometime to get the guide data from the tv provider. it used to be done in the scheduled task, then everyone complained the task took too long, so it's on demand. pick your poison i guess.

moviefan

Thanks, that's very generous :)

By the way, in the above issue, i don't think it . it just can be slow sometime to get the guide data from the tv provider. it used to be done in the scheduled task, then everyone complained the task took too long, so it's on demand. pick your poison i guess.

I have been messing with the guide a bit more tonight for some testing and while I have been able to replicate some lag with loading the screen similar to what I was seeing earlier, it always resolves itself in a couple minutes at most.  Earlier today I had the screen open for probably 3 hours or so and it never loaded.

If I am seeing this laggy loading or not loading at all behavior do you think that running the refresh guide scheduled task would help make it better?

rikiwi

Just in case someone else has experienced this:

Since yesterdays update to the server - Dev Build Version 3.0.5326.38482

​I am getting a blank Channels page.

All other Live TV tabs are displaying fine. Playback of live and recorded TV also fine. This happens in Chrome and IE

​It's not a biggie but was working fine just prior to the update.

Attached is a snip of the page.

Let me know what else you need.

moviefan

Just in case someone else has experienced this:

Since yesterdays update to the server - Dev Build Version 3.0.5326.38482

​I am getting a blank Channels page.

All other Live TV tabs are displaying fine. Playback of live and recorded TV also fine. This happens in Chrome and IE

​It's not a biggie but was working fine just prior to the update.

Attached is a snip of the page.

Let me know what else you need.

I am not running the Dev builds but I would recommend starting a new thread if you are still experiencing this and including all of the normal logs and information requested when reporting problems.

rikiwi

I'm pleased to report that since an update just now to Dev Version 3.0.5329.40806

My Channels Page in now fully populated with my TV Channels  :)

Great work guys.

Edited by rikiwi

rikiwi

I'm not sure if the following is related...but....

I have noticed at times a blank (black) program field appearing in some of the Live TV Guide program fields. These do not display in WMC. Also the correct program is displayed in the Channel detail view, so the data is being collected correctly.

Please find 3 snips (all taken at same time) to illustrate what I mean.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

Edited by rikiwi

rikiwi

Please ignore this post I was having trouble attaching some clip - I didn't realise there was a limit to these in the forum.

Edited by rikiwi

I am currently having this issue across all browsers running latest dev and also the last stable and beta releases - Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

Looking in ServerWMC and sitting on the guide page I do not see MBS trying to talk to ServerWMC is this expected? I know when MBS used to use the task to get guide data you could see the counter increase inside of ServerWMC

Even when refreshing data in MBS Live TV tab nothing happens on ServerWMC

Edited by mbnwa

Before the upgrade to yesterdays version yes it was showing connected however after yesterdays upgrade no I have the back end error that I am posting the logs into the other string