Casting stopped working

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I wiped my Galaxy S4 and installed android 4.4.2 (rooted phone), and then I restored MediaBrowser from backup using Titanium Backup. I've since tried chromecasting without success. It may have been a problem before upgrading my phone though - it's been a while since I've tried chromecasting.

What happens is I can connect to the chromecast just fine. When I play something though, it just plays on my phone. But what's interesting is after connecting if I change screens on my phone (move to a different tv show, different episode, etc), the play options disappear (no play button, no shuffle button). If I disconnect and change screens, I get the play options back.

Youtube casts just fine.

Any idea what the problem is?

Did you specify the internal IP and not the external IP? Chromecast prefers internal IP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

dchaosblade

Damn, thought at first that this might be the same issue I'm having at present.  Recently had to wipe my computer and reinstall windows (and MediaBrowser).  Yesterday (after the reinstall) I was able to cast fine, but today none of my mobile devices seem to be able to cast in the Mediabrowser app - the button doesn't even show.  Other apps (like Youtube, Hulu, etc) seem to work fine.  I just updated the server, could that possibly have had something to do with it?

Redshirt

If the cast icon isn't showing up. Try rebooting the CC as well as the server and client.

let's not reboot all of those at the same time.

server should not be related at all. if you do restart anything, let's do one at a time so that we can try and learn something out of it. we don't want to look like microsoft where rebooting is the answer everyone's problems

Redshirt

Chances are just rebooting the CC is all it will take.

TheShanMan

Nope. Rebooting the CC didn't do anything. Then I tried rebooting my phone. That didn't help either. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling next I guess.

And to answer speechles, I use my external domain name, but my internal router resolves the name to a local IP.

Redshirt

The point Speechles it trying to make is that the Android client is using the value of the internal address field in the server connection. If that value is blank then CC will not connect. Check the server connection you defined to make sure the internal address isn't blank.

Redshirt

I've been trying for a few days and I can't recreate the issue your describing. The disappearing icons isn't an issue, instead it's expected behaviour. The client and MB CC app don't support queued media, so any icons that play multiple items are gone until the cc is disconnected. The only issue is that it's playing on the phone when it should be playing on the screen. An Android client log for when you try to play something to the CC might reveal some answers..

TheShanMan

OK, I think there's some miscommunication here. The disappearing icons is an issue because that includes the play button (I didn't realize you can't shuffle to cc so just ignore the shuffle part of this). With an established cc connection but nothing playing (on the phone or on the cc), I get no play button as I navigate around. The only time I see a play button when browsing is if I am not connected. Connecting after browsing doesn't make the play button disappear instantly but as soon as I start browsing I no longer get a play button.

Does that make more sense?

So I can't get an android log when I play something to the cc because the app doesn't even give me the option of playing something to the cc.

Edited by TheShanMan

TheShanMan

No ideas? I was hoping my second attempt at explaining above might help. I'm willing to try whatever.

Redshirt

I haven't a clue why casting isn't working for you. 

I've made a whole bunch of changes to CC since my last public build. It's very possible that the issue you're seeing has been resolved internally. Although I have direct access to another tester who is having what sounds like the same problem as you. The CC device disappearing. The next build has just entered beta in the last week so it could be a few weeks before a public build is available to test with.

Redshirt

Out of curiosity. What is the version of Google Play services on that device?

TheShanMan

I'm not sure how to find the version, but I tried again a couple of nights ago and it worked fine. I think the only difference was a new version of the server. Otherwise I have no idea why it would've started working again because I tried everything I could think of before (restarting stuff, reinstalling the app) and nothing made any difference. I'll let you know if the problem happens again though. Thank you Redshirt!

Edited by TheShanMan