Crashes with Square and Rush

yardameus
Go to solution Solved by Soultaker,

yardameus

After the recent update to square and MBC (3.0.196), I started having issues with mbc not starting with square selected.  Now it has spread to rush as well.  I've tried doing a complete mbc reinstall, as well as the themes.  It appears to be an isolated issue for me.  I may try to do an OS reinstall this weekend.  Just throwing this out there in case anyone else has similar issues.

edit:  Lotus as well.  Maybe move this post to plugins and themes?  Or just take the hex off of me, since I must be the only one with the issue.

Edited by yardameus

yardameus

Got a log from when I used Rush, and both got kicked out of MBC and could not enter MBC.  Don't see any useful info in there, but I'm no expert so... MBClassic-2820148f647c6effe14321be728bff1cb061bd.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y01bpiffgytcox2/MBClassic-2820148f647c6effe14321be728bff1cb061bd.log

Edited by yardameus

• Solution
Soultaker

@@yardameus

Dude its because you used Xenon and had a weird value in your RAL field in your xml config file. The easy solution is to delete your xml config file or change that value back to a standard value such as "unwatched".

• Like 1

Ouch multiple themes writing to the same values. Well I guess its too late to change it from the mb2 days. But perhaps themes can be more resilient so they don't fail over unexpected values.

Cheesegeezer

@@yardameus

Dude its because you used Xenon and had a weird value in your RAL field in your xml config file. The easy solution is to delete your xml config file or change that value back to a standard value such as "unwatched".

I thought it was xenon but even what used to be inprogress value is selected it crashes now when i switch to square. I dont know if this has been removed from the core.

yardameus

Which config file is this?  Is this one of the config files in the users appdata MBC folder?  Or is this one of the .xml files in the programdata folder?

The core isn't involved here at all.

What looks like is happening is that square and rush are setting the 'chosen' value of a choice object to the value that is in RecentItemOption probably in mcml (which has no error trapping).  So, if the value that is in that configuration option is not one of the valid choices defined by the theme in question, the program crashes.

This could be solved by moving the initialization into c#, trapping the error and falling back to a default if it is invalid. Or using extensive conditionals in the mcml to be sure it is one of the options you are expecting before setting the value.

Cheesegeezer

The core isn't involved here at all.

What looks like is happening is that square and rush are setting the 'chosen' value of a choice object to the value that is in RecentItemOption probably in mcml (which has no error trapping).  So, if the value that is in that configuration option is not one of the valid choices defined by the theme in question, the program crashes.

This could be solved by moving the initialization into c#, trapping the error and falling back to a default if it is invalid. Or using extensive conditionals in the mcml to be sure it is one of the options you are expecting before setting the value.

Just got back from my Birthday weekend.  I will certainly trap these new options in c# and keep my properties within Xenon.  Hopefully that will mean that changing to another them will make them default to one of the Quicklists that is recognized by all themes.

• Like 1

What I suggested will have to be done by all themes or there will always be a potential of such a crash.