Intel Nuc - Sluggish menu

Lawrage

Lawrage

Hi All,

I have been running Media Browser Theatre for some time now on three PCs in the house (an old core 2 duo, a previous gen i3 and an old i7) and all have been working perfectly.

As part of getting some power savings into the house and getting rid of huge pc cases in the lounges I am looking at replacing all machines with small power efficient units, to start I have just installed a new i3 Nuc and am noticing that navigating around MBT feels a lot slower than what im used to and the transitions of the fading backgrounds are quite jerky. I know it doesnt sound like much but I notice it and its driving me crazy. Just to clarify video playback is perfectly fine, no sluggishness or anything playing full 1080p content.

Am just checking if anyone else is running MBT on a Nuc or similar low power device and is / is not noticing this? Also if there is anything I can test or change to look at fixing this.

Thanks,

John.

AdrianW

I have an i5 NUC (with HD5000 graphics) and I had slow menu transitions in MBT as well. I haven't reported it before as I use MBC on the NUC.

One thing to check though: make sure you've allocated the maximum amount of memory possible to the GPU in the UEFI (BIOS).

• Like 1

AdrianW

I also occasionally get the out of video memory error - but I think that's a bug with Intel's driver. Sometimes after coming out of sleep it seems to think it's only got 64MB of video memory.

Spaceboy

One thing to check though: make sure you've allocated the maximum amount of memory possible to the GPU in the UEFI (BIOS).

Hi, how do you do that? I can't see any options? Ta

@@Spaceboy you might need to specify integrated graphics to see memory allocation (as opposed to auto)

Sent by lumia 1020 & Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lawrage

Thanks for the replies, will go into the bios when I get home and up the video memory and see if that helps.

AdriaW, are you seeing the same thing on the WMC plugin as well? I only ask as I was considering trying this as well to see if it may fix it.

swhitmore

I get sluggish menus in MBT on my NUC. I just put it down to the celeron chip not being very powerful. I also run into issues with using WMC music when it loads the album art waterfall background. I might have to turn it off.

AdrianW

AdrianW, are you seeing the same thing on the WMC plugin as well? I only ask as I was considering trying this as well to see if it may fix it.

The menus in MBC on my NUC are very responsive.

• Like 1

DigiTM

I set my NUC up with max video graphics instead of Auto in the BIOS and that fixed it for me.  Fixed both the i3 and i5 models.

Starlionblue

If memory serves MBT is still in the Alpha stage, so I would wager there's still a lot to be done with regards to performance optimization. I've gave up on it a while ago largely for this reason, as well as stability and functionality issues. I'm sure it will be great when it is done, but right now MBC seems to be the way to go.

The Baron

I have a question about the NUC, a friend of mine is trying to use one with Openelec, without luck so far. Has any one tried installing a flavour of Linux onto a NUC?

xnappo

NUC + OpenElec + XBMB3C == great HTPC.

I have the lowest end Celeron model and it is perfection in terms of both GUI and video performance.

Edited by xnappo

hifiaudio2

I have a new laptop using almost the same Celeron -  the laptop is the N2830 vs the N2820 in the current NUC,  and my menus are fine.  What I do notice is that I havent been able to get smooth playback when MPC-HC launches from MBT.  MBT native player plays back the video just fine, though.  Although at 100% cpu utilization.  Funny though,  on my core2 duo 8200 /  Nforce 9400 HTPC from years ago,  I get the opposite....great playback launching MPC-HC with madVR,  but juddery playback trying to use the MBT native player,  which I would rather use just because its prettier and "simpler"  for family use.

Edited by hifiaudio2