Miracast

swhitmore

swhitmore

Since buying a Chromecast, I think I've used it twice. I feel this is mainly because I use Microsoft products, and there isn't much support out there for Windows devices. I just ordered the new Lumia 930, and it comes with native Miracast support. I'm thinking of getting a Miracast dongle and see if I get more use out of that (I may not, but they are only $20).

Would MB3 ever support Miracast? Does anyone else use it, or plan of using it? It seems like a more open standard.

there's just no demand to justify the dev time. chromecast was able to be done without any help from the server, so if 7 can add it to his app all on his own, then by all means.

Deihmos

I kind of don't see the point of devices like chromecast and miracast when there are rokus, smart TVs and the multitude of other devices that do the same thing better.

swhitmore

I kind of don't see the point of devices like chromecast and miracast when there are rokus, smart TVs and the multitude of other devices that do the same thing better.

They are a cheap way to fill the gap on some things. The Roku can't mirror my screen (the main reason I'm buying the Miracast dongle). Also, I have a HTPC set up on that TV anyway, but this is more for streaming content from my phone.

• 2 months later...
dethknite

I agree, but also disagree at the moment.  I use Roku, but currently logging in and out with a complex password makes it difficult to switch between kids account/my account/wife's account.  Would be great to let the kids simply miracast to the roku with the App on a spare phone... since Roku is implementing miracast (currently beta).  The wife and I can play it directly off the Roku... and then no need for user switching.

Will probably not be necessary once local PIN access is implemented in Media Browser Server.

Edited by dethknite

jhoff80

They are a cheap way to fill the gap on some things. The Roku can't mirror my screen (the main reason I'm buying the Miracast dongle). Also, I have a HTPC set up on that TV anyway, but this is more for streaming content from my phone.

Old post obviously, but this has changed, the Roku 3 and Roku HDMI Streaming Stick support Miracast now.