altramarine

Good day!

Relevant Setup, Settings:

• MB Server 3.0.5326.13255
  • MB Classic 3.0.196.0 7-19.1
  • LAV Filters 0.60.1

• LAV Splitter Audio set to "eng" as default:

53ec15703099c_lavsplitter.png

• MB user personal preferences -> Languages -> Audio language preference set to "English":

53ec1590e8b80_mbusersettings.png

I have an .mkv video that has 2 audio tracks: English, French.

MB Classic plays French audio by default instead of English.

Any ideas why?

Many thanks,

Edited by altramarine

Unfortunately MBC is the only client that is not able to utilize the server's user profile settings. It has no way of sending the command to the player. so you'll have to do it completely with LAV. at the very least you'll want to make sure your french audio track is actually marked as french.

altramarine

Thanks Luke!

I was hoping the LAV Splitter Audio setting to "eng" do the trick. Alas!

I will have to try the MB Theater

It might be the fact that you selected "Prefer Audio Stream with the Highest Quality" in the LAV settings.

altramarine

It might be the fact that you selected "Prefer Audio Stream with the Highest Quality" in the LAV settings.

Good point, I thought that too.

Then I opened the file in mkvmerge GUI.

Here is the info on both audio tracks: (English is of higher quality? I think...)

• French track:

53ec2afb9ab9b_fre.png

• English track:

53ec2b0a4cd67_eng.png

Perhaps French overrides English because of the "Default track flag: yes" for the French track? Still, logically LAV should have preffered the English language because I specified that.

Edited by altramarine

AdrianW

Is this just the one movie? Will you ever have need for the French track?

If yes - you could just use mkvmerge (or it's header editor) to change the default track or completely remove the French track. 

• Like 1

• Solution
ewcrider

In LAV version 0.61.0, a workaround was added to "block WMP/WMC from always overwriting the initial track selection."  I tested one file in the 64-bit wmp with LAV versions 0.60.1, 0.61.0, and 0.62.0.  0.60.1 failed select the correct track, but 0.61.0 and 0.62.0 both successfully selected the correct track, overriding the "default" and "forced" flags set on the non-desired track. It seems for 0.60.1 (within wmp at least), it will just select the first audio track, no matter which track is flagged as default.  So if you want to keep 0.60.1, you need to reorder the tracks with mkvmerge. 

• Like 1

breezytm

I read in an old post a while back that any tracks with "default" flag takes precedence over the preferred language setting when using LAV. Even LAV dev supposely agreed that it was indeed true. Dev also said that their software is design correctly and that issue is human habits. In clear English the message from them was - stop adding default flag to your audio tracks and you won't this problem. 

Again that was just word of mouth. I didn't personally hear it from LAV dev. Here's the post

I have some videos with two audio tracks set to default. LAV would play both of them together  :D

Edited by breezytm

altramarine

Is this just the one movie? Will you ever have need for the French track?

If yes - you could just use mkvmerge (or it's header editor) to change the default track or completely remove the French track. 

That's exactly what I ended up doing, removed the French track.

In LAV version 0.61.0, a workaround was added to "block WMP/WMC from always overwriting the initial track selection."  I tested one file in the 64-bit wmp with LAV versions 0.60.1, 0.61.0, and 0.62.0.  0.60.1 failed select the correct track, but 0.61.0 and 0.62.0 both successfully selected the correct track, overriding the "default" and "forced" flags set on the non-desired track. It seems for 0.60.1 (within wmp at least), it will just select the first audio track, no matter which track is flagged as default.  So if you want to keep 0.60.1, you need to reorder the tracks with mkvmerge. 

Oh man, I thought i was using the latest LAV!

I will have LAV re-installed and re-tested. I will report back.

Thank you!

Edited by altramarine