Directv HD-DVR profile

johnbr

Does anyone have a working DLNA profile for the Directv HD-DVR series of receivers? The default seems to work for music and pictures, but not for video. I found this link about the Directv DLNA profile for 'another server', but I'm not sure how to translate this into the profile editor - https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/39355-directv-dlna-profile/ 

arche

Try this:

Redoing XML

Have not had a chance to test it out myself. Just created by modify the default profile and adding the values that you saw on plex. Let me know if it works for you.

DirecTV HD-DVR.xml

Edited by nirvmedia

Thanks - this got the device closer to playback. A few issues still:

1) Unable to play music anymore - try to navigate to folder and get an error on TV "Unable to access media.."

2) Video now shows, but is full of "macro blocks"

3) no audio with video

any ideas on what to look at and/or try next?

arche

I am going to try and work on it a little more today as work got in the way. I have a modified one, just have not had time to test it yet. Should have something up in a few hours.

• Like 1

arche

Still working on this, right now the video is doing the same as the built-in profile. Video is pixeled and no sound. I see this is a common problem with most dlna servers that try and work DirceTV. I have contacted DirecTV and asked what the actual dlna specs are and supposedly someone is going to email me the information. But either way, I am still trying to get this to work. I have 3 different HD-DVR's that this would be helpful with.

For reference, I found other DLNA servers that did work with the DIrectv receivers.

1) tversity (DirecTV HR20/HR22 (only in Version 1.8 or older) - I used this myself for a while

2) http://www.tvmediashare.com/ - haven't tried, but claims to work since it was built for the Directv Media Share.

3) Apparently Windows Media Player also worked with Directv Media Share

• 2 months later...
pir8radio

Is DLNA working for anyone yet on DirecTv?     I just tried, just a bunch of digital chunks no sound...   is there something i need to do within the directv profile?

pir8radio

My first question, does it actually work for anyone?   I dont want to, or have a bunch of forum members chasing something that doesnt work.

Happy2Play

It is using DNLA standards and attempting to send formats that are known to be supported, identified via the device profile.

pir8radio

It is using DNLA standards and attempting to send formats that are known to be supported, identified via the device profile.

Yet 90% of the DLNA servers out there can not play to DirecTv via DLNA standards...  I assume MB is the same.  Only 3 or 4 DLNA servers that I know of can do it.   Other servers have the same issues, pixelated video no sound.  Like the other users in this post.   You did see the posts prior to mine right?  ;)

Well, I guess my original question still stands, Does anyone have the DirecTv HD DVR profile working with your directv receiver via DLNA?  If yes, did you have to do anything special to make it work, and what model receiver are you streaming to?

Edited by pir8radio

Happy2Play

Is the media being transcoded or direct play?  What device profile is it using?  We need logs and media info.  But without any information to troubleshoot with it is just a guess.

@pir8radio I've tried it a few times with an HR-23 HD-DVR and always had the same issues you mention. I never really followed up on it since that is the only DLNA device I have and I never new how it was supposed to work anyway.

So at least you're not alone. :-)

Edited by kfonda

pir8radio

Happy, what logs do you want?    and when do you want the logs, after i attempt to stream to the DTV device?   

pir8radio

Is the media being transcoded or direct play?  What device profile is it using?  We need logs and media info.  But without any information to troubleshoot with it is just a guess.

It is using the DirecTV HD-DVR profile that comes with MB3.   Tell me what logs you want, trans-code, or general, do you need DLNA debug on?  

All video files are:

MPEG2

720x480

16:9

59.94006 FPS

6110 kbps

AC3 Audio

5.1 surround

437 kbps @ 48000khz

pir8radio

so how about this......        if someone can get me a working directv DLNA profile ill paypal you $60 and at the same time ill send the MB3 team $40 on your behalf or if you already have a supporter code ill just send it to them as me.   Has to work with the directv HD-DVR HR34 and HR44.   Thats not a lot of cash... but someone has to have Directv and use media browser, and is familiar with transcodeing setting s and stuff..    LOL i just want to run one media server... and I like that the MB3 DLNA stuff correlates with the other MB3 interfaces (newest, resume, trailers).

Edited by pir8radio

It is a start though. What we need is someone technical enough who owns the device and can help us complete it.

@johnbr   I installed the TVShare program on a machine and it does work. I also used 'WireShark 1' to do a network capture but I don't know enough to decipher the data. Can you tell me what I'm looking for?

there should be some initial handshake between the directv device and the service when you start playback. that would be the most interesting data.

I'm out of my depth, Here is the capture file if you want to take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32h3i2q33vvrmuf/TVShare.pcapng?dl=0

---

TVShare server was on 192.168.1.51:50003
DirecTV HR23 was on 192.168.1.102:37154

started playing '2 Guns-trailer.mp4' from 'SERVER2012/Movies/2 Guns (2013)'

---

Used the Development Release (1.99.0) of Wireshark from http://www.wireshark.org

loaded the TVShare.pcapng capture file into Wireshark and typed "ip.addr == 192.168.1.102" into the display filter to only show data to and from the DirecTV HR23

---

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Ribbitman

2) http://www.tvmediashare.com/ - haven't tried, but claims to work since it was built for the Directv Media Share.

3) Apparently Windows Media Player also worked with Directv Media Share

Tvmediashare works great...transcodes everything I've thrown at it. Pc is wireless and the directv dvr is wired, and no issues with resolution or lag. Media center is an interesting idea; might be able to use the media center remote with a long cord or some wireless transmitter for the ir blaster.

So I'm new round here...any word on plex thru directv?