FR: Auto populate sort field names for months.

psykix

psykix

I guess this may be a niche request!

I have my photos sorted by year, and then by month folder i.e. 2013/January, February etc.

Would it be possible to add some logic to the server which says if the name is June and it is a folder not a file, then auto populate the sort name field with 6? Maybe restrict this logic to the photos section if possible.

This would then automagically sort the months into chronological order instead of alphabetical order.

This will make browsing photos easier once MBT implements photo support as most people would expect January to come before February when browsing not after it.

abstract

Have you thought about using standard YYYY-MM-DD for your folders? This ensures that (whatever platform) your files will always be in date order?

Sorry - off-topic, but might help?

psykix

I only want a per month folder. I don't take enough photos at the moment to warrant splitting them down into days.

Eventually I'm going to add loads of metadata tags and then in Lightroom I can search on tags.

I'm hoping MBS will eventually support similar functionality and searching in the normal search fields will find hits on metadata tags too.

abstract

psykix,

That shouldn't be an issue - treat each part of the naming format as optional - if you only want months use just YYYY-MM

E.g. maybe you have monthly photos within each year, or have a selection of events within a year...

2014/2014-01 January 2014

2014/2014-02 February 2014

2014/2014-02-15 Mum's Birthday

2014/2014-05 May 2014

2014/2014-05-26 Work Summer BBQ

2014/2014-06 June 2014

Or even..

2014/2014-01 January 2014/2014-01-XX Event One

2014/2014-01 January 2014/2014-01-XX Event Two

(The 'friendly' part, e.g. "January 2014", is not necessary, but makes folder views more friendly for human use)

Personally I have one pictures folder with everything in it (named YEAR-MM(-DD) - Title) - over 10,000 photos from the last 15 years.

Using this naming format guarantees cross-platform compatibility (and also removes the need for you to group into folders for year/month, but if that is what you prefer that is personal choice), you could even use some meta tools or file renaming tools to either automatically create your recursive folder structures from the "date taken" meta - OR vice-versa - add in the meta from your folder/file naming structure (say if you had a 'professional' photographer who doesn't set their date/time correctly).

Anyway, was just an idea in case it helps :-)

• Like 1

psykix

I use Lightroom to import automatically into folders and there doesn't appear to be a custom folder option :-

The only one that would work for me is using the number for the month - but then that won't look so nice and user friendly :-)

53f5ac526b46e_ScreenShot20140821at092101

Thanks for taking the time to list all the options :-)

abstract

No problem psykix, but not sure if you're getting me or not (always difficult with the written word!). However, this might be a limitation of Lightbox? (Sorry, I've never used it)

Where you have in your image "2014/August", what I'm suggesting is that your folder is either:

1. "2014-08 August 2014"
    - or -
  2. "2014/2014-08 August 2014"

(the "August 2014" bit is optional - and up to you, but makes it much easier on the human eye :-) )

psykix

The picture I showed above are the only options for folder names...

Anyway, it's not a massive issue at the moment since MB doesn't really support photos very well at all. Maybe once support matures, then I'll revisit the problem!

psykix

Haha! Thanks for that - your perseverance is admirable!

I don't actually seem to have the text file referred to in the solution.

I'm using LR5.

abstract

Sorry mate, that's about as far as I can possibly help. Try a google / adobe forum search for your version and custom import paths.

It *could* be a custom file you add in order to add the customisation, but can't say.

Hope it may be helpful anyway! 

• Like 1