Chromecast (UK People)

Swynol

Swynol

also just found it on amazon.co.uk for the same price delivered. and if ordered and setup before the 15th sept you get Free 90-Day Trial of Google Play All Access (Unlimited Music)

psykix

Wow.. think I'll pick one up to play with at that price...

Edit : Apparently, we don't need a Chromecast because we have 4 Roku boxes, 4 iPads, 3 iPhones, a Wii U, an Xbox360 and the HTPC.

Silly woman.

Edited by psykix
  • Like 8

Redshirt

Wow.. think I'll pick one up to play with at that price...

Edit : Apparently, we don't need a Chromecast because we have 4 Roku boxes, 4 iPads, 3 iPhones, a Wii U, an Xbox360 and the HTPC.

Silly woman.

And two TV's :)

psykix

And two TV's :)

Now that would be funny!

I did wonder which TV I would plug a Chromecast into - to be honest I was thinking of replacing one of the kids Roku boxes with a CC once I had finished messing with it but I think they would have to be using the web client to cast to the CC if I understand it correctly and I think the kids are better with the Roku interface rather than the web client as it is far simpler.

Swynol

just picked one up, not sure where I'm going to use it yet. probably a backup for when i go away. plug it into a hotel room tv and stream to it from my laptop. 

so far so good, streams from my iphone or the web client. 

Redshirt

Yeah. You can control a cc from android or iOS too but I too think the roku is far more kid friendly.

CBers

just picked one up, not sure where I'm going to use it yet. probably a backup for when i go away. plug it into a hotel room tv and stream to it from my laptop.

so far so good, streams from my iphone or the web client.

I've got 2 :)

They're really good when you have guests as well, as they can throw the pictures they've taken on their phone straight to the TV without any need to log on to anything (apart from your wifi).

psykix

Yeah. You can control a cc from android or iOS too but I too think the roku is far more kid friendly.

i think the roku is a great choice for all ages. very easy for anyone to pick up and use.

I guess we'll stick with the Roku boxes - and avoid any conflict with the missus at the same time haha!

The kids have their Rokus and they also have Mediabrowser on their iPads.

I had a ZX81 when I was their age  :D

• Like 1

well i think both roku and cc are great. but different use cases. cc requires a little more technical user because there's no physical remote and no on-screen content browsing. but it's a great way to quickly send content to a big screen.

Swynol

does anyone know if you have to have an active internet connection for the chromecast to work?

what i attempted to do is plug the chrome cast into a TV, turn hotspot on on my phone (doesnt have internet connection, stupid rural area) connects to my phone fine however i cant cast anything to it because its complaining about no internet connection. 

i also tried the same at home, took down my net connection and tried to play local content from Media Browser however it wouldnt play. strangely with the net connect i started a video then disconnected my net and the video carried on playing.

Swynol

From what I read, it must have an active internet connection. Wonder what info Google is collecting?

ye thats what i thought. and ye it makes you wonder why it requires a constant connection.....

CBers

Interesting.

Are Google about to launch a v2?

Tesco just reduced the price of their HUDL tablets and accessories, amid reports they are about to release a HUDL2.