install loop

kingy444
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

kingy444

Not at home at the moment so cant get a log easily

My server seems to be in a install loop

MBServer (3.0.5346.22797)

Installs, says reboot, then tries to reinstall. On the beta channel.

Any one else experiecing this ?

Best guess, the update is failing for some reason.  Please post the update log.

But, that server log you posted is from version 5340 not 5346.

• 2 weeks later...
kingy444

@ebr so it appears the issue never resolved itself.

with the new server release it has returned. the log shows an access issue which doesn't make sense granted I use one account for this VM and it is full admin

I can reflow the permissions but that doesn't indicate what could have caused the issue

any ideas ?server-update.log

• Solution

That access issue could also be due to a lock on the file/folder.  If you watch the task manager while it tries to update, is the server process still there?

Or, potentially, some other process could be locking a file in that folder. Do you have something like ServerWMC installed?

kingy444

Will have to try to monitor the folder. I do have serverwmc running on this box so its possible it could be that. If it is would we need to look at an option in the serverwmc plugin to stop amd restart it during a server reboot if they are running on the same box ?

I have just seen a previous report of this issue occurring if serverwmc is running so you might try shutting that down before the next update attempt.

kingy444

so somehow simply having an explorer window open to the directory path was enough to lock the installation (was looking at logs and hadn't closed the explorer window after closing the files)

One thing to note though is that the server never caught that the installation failed and just continued to perform endless updates (after a manual restart of the server)