Frame Rate Wrong

KRA

Whenever MB3 does it's transcoding the result is unwatchable (yes I'm picky when it comes to judder free video ).

The picture quality is fine, but the framerate / fluidness of the video is (no offence) utter crap. Same thing happens if I play on my phone, chromecast or PS4. 

A smooth video should display the frames like this:

MB3 transcoded video display frames like this:

......._.......-......._.......-......._.......-......._

it's like it's slowing down and speeding up all the time.

I just did a test on a television broadcast 720p 50hz (frameduplication, redraws every frame 2 times)

I was horrified when I notice the transcoded video is 23,796 hz. Please keep the source framerate when transcoding !

Unfortunatly I fear that is not only the issue, as I've seen the same problem with 24p content also, fortunatly newever server versions seem to do much more streamcopy than transcoding so it's harder to test. 

• 5 weeks later...

I just did a test on a television broadcast 720p 50hz (frameduplication, redraws every frame 2 times)

I was horrified when I notice the transcoded video is 23,796 hz. Please keep the source framerate when transcoding !

Friendly reminder.

• 2 months later...
robkingutah1

Hi,

So i ilive in a region of the world the US that uses a frame rate of 29.97fps however im seeing 24.97fps which is europe any ideas on how to mfix this depending on whats playing it is noticible the frame rate is off. This happens when transcoding live tv or recordings.

thanks,

Robert

robkingutah1

did you ever resolve this having same issue picture great fluidness and motion bad i see its says 24fps when i monitor it should be 29fps where i am driving me crazy

it seems the MB3 devs has an idea that everything should be 24p, I have no idea why as I never got a reply. Best option in my opinion is to use source framerate.

Unfortunatly for Live-TV 24p it's a bad match for both EU and US. Removing the "-r 23.97602" from ffmpeg command would be a step in right direction imo as ffmpeg should try to keep original framerate. Only reason to do framerate conversion imo is if you need to seriously lower the bitrate. The most fail prof would be to probe the file first, but that would add a delay to playback.

Edited by KRA

robkingutah1

So my question to the devs is how do you remove the -r 23.97602 so it's keeps source frame rate ? That's about the only thing wrong evetything else works great