Why is last.fm a metadata provider of artists?

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

I was researching on why I was getting html in some overview content (personally don't want it, but that is another post).

So I checked a artist that didn't have an overview, but had correct Musicbrainz id. Did a refresh and ended up with overview content from last.fm.... Why?

see screen shots Overview after refresh

53f87fc527195_CBoverview.png

Have correct MusicBrainz id and it has content

53f880796f41e_CB_MB.png

Metadata settings

53f880e142a69_MetaData_Artists.png

last.fm isn't even a choice.  If MusicB is the primary source why isn't it being chosen ?

I seem to recall that this worked as I expected in early Aug. Not sure when it changed.

Thanks

Log snippet attached, if full log is needed let me know ArtistLog.txt

Edited by Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

MusicBrainz limiting traffic is an interesting topic and worthy of more discussion.

I guess I am confused as to why info is scrapped from last.fm. It is not a choice for metadata providers. The fact you get html is problematic. It looks fine on the web client, but on clients that do not support it or are expecting straight text- to quote an eloquent unknown person "it is butt ugly".  :)

it's not anymore. it used to be in the core but has been moved to a plugin since the addition of audiodb

Vicpa

Hi @@Luke

I don't have the last.fm plugin installed the example in the op was from yesterday. The overview was missing and I did a refresh and ended up with that data.

Do I have some setting wrong?

Vicpa

I guess that is the only explanation. I deleted the overview and did a refresh. It didn't come back, unfortunately neither did the overview from MusicBrainz. But that seems to be a different issue.

Thanks for the replies, this can be marked as closed.

ginjaninja

i have old lastfm data in my artists,

i find the solution is to ensure the albums's  release group id is populated and then refresh in the metadata editor.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Thanks!

I have been working on just that thing. Find refresh doesn't, sometimes, sporadically work .

ginjaninja

I can find examples, where all ids are populated correctly but MB3 refuses to fetch the album description from audiodb

eg

Screenshot%202014-08-28%2017.32.58.png

ah that it would be because MB3 is using release group id for audiodb search and this one returns null

http://www.theaudiodb.com/api/v1/json/49jhsf8248yfahka89724011/album-mb.php?i=d345547c-75a7-321d-818c-75daf0499a7b

and that would be because there are two albums of the sign by this band and although the audiodbids were correct, the musicbrainz were not..and its musicbrainz used to check.

you can check the release group that audiodb has for an album by clicking on mbz link at bottom of album page on audiodb.

Screenshot%202014-08-28%2017.45.53.png

Edited by ginjaninja

• 3 years later...