Bug with music artists and quotes

fraenhawk

fraenhawk

Running 3.0.5347.22095. I noticed that the web client isn't sure how to handle an artist with quotes. When I go to the Artist or Album Artist view "Weird Al" Yankovic shows as the first artist. At the top it shows 1-50 of 623 (for album artists). If I click on any of the letter options on the right side to jump to that letter, the count changes to 1-50 of 622. If I click on the # option to take me to the top, it still says 622 and "Weird Al" is missing. He's not showing under the W's Y's or #'s. The only way to get him back is to click the same letter/# again to turn off the jump feature and then the count goes back to 623 and he shows up again. Some might argue that the # is for numbers, but *NSYNC shows up in the # section so I think the intent was for all special characters to also be in that section. Probably just a problem handling quotes.

fraenhawk

Okay, so I figured out that the "of 622" is based on the number of matches from the letter you pick to the end - so Z shows 1-1 of 1. But there's still a problem that when clicking on # which is first in the list, it goes from 623 to 622. Shouldn't # be the same as everything?

You may have something who's name starts with a character that actually sorts in front of the numerics.  Could be a null or a foreign character maybe?  Or, maybe do you have any ".50 cent"?  Maybe the punctuation sorts first...?

fraenhawk

I already said in the original post that it was the quote around "weird al" yankovic. My point is that the # isn't numerics only since *NSYNC has an asterisk in it yet is part of the numerics. In most programs the # would be all non-alpha characters not just numbers.

You just need to decide which way you want MB3 to work and make it consistent. Either # is numerics only and you need to stop ALL special characters from being included, or # is all non-alpha's and it needs to be fixed so that the quote symbol IS included.

fraenhawk

Just to clarify something. I looked at the metadata:

Path: \\WHSHAWK\Music\'Weird Al' Yankovic

Name: 'Weird Al' Yankovic

How it shows in Album Artists and Artists in MB3 web interface "Weird Al" Yankovic

Path: \\WHSHAWK\Music\-NSYNC

Name: -NSYNC

How it shows in MB3 web interface: *NSYNC

So where are the double-quote and asterisk coming from? Musicbrainz? Last.fm? local xml? database?

53fcda1e3679d_xmls.jpg

ginjaninja

I can reproduce the issue with Version 3.0.5351.40457

When no filter is chosen the view shows 7473 artists

When the # filter is chosen the view shows 7470 artist (mb3 l'ooses' the 1st 3 artists from the 1st screenshot).

I guess these views are not complete yet..not least because

• the missing artist you mentioned
  • if you filter you might expect the total to drop to the filterred amount.
  • the sort order of a.r. rahman in my example is incorrect.

PS your double quotes are coming from the xml which is coming from either your id3 tags (if they are correct) or music brainz

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/7746d775-9550-4360-b8d5-c37bd448ce01

got to be impressed though with MB3s ability to fetch artist data :-)

Screenshot%202014-08-27%2013.12.55.png

Screenshot%202014-08-27%2013.13.26.png

Edited by ginjaninja