Server closed captions

EduardoSantos
Go to solution Solved by EduardoSantos,

EduardoSantos

Dear sirs,

Throughout forum posts I have read one of the server's intention is to avoid transcoding as much as possible. This post is, therefore, a suggestion on subtitle handling that would avoid many transcoding scenarios, especially on Roku clients.

You see... I am a Brazilian and most of the movies I watch have to be subtitled... And most of the times I use MediaBrowser is through the Roku client.

On mkv files with embedded subtitles, things go almost always perfect: Roku receives the subtitles as closed captions and renders them using the platform subtitle settings, that is, Roku font and colors. Things are so smooth that I do not need to select subtitles on MediaBrowser’s client interface: they came as default.

Other scenarios, though, are error prone:

When there are only external subtitles (for both MKVs or AVIs) I have to select them on MediaBrowser’s client interface. This causes audio and video to be transcoded.

When the server transcodes the movie, it will send subtitles as part of the image. And they are not shown with Roku’s native subtitle configuration.

Wouldn’t be possible to send external subtitles as closed captions, just as it already happens when they are embedded on the mkv file?

• Solution
EduardoSantos

Well... Just installed the Roku beta and found out the server is already doing it!

GREAT