Wake on lan

Deihmos

Deihmos

I really like the wake on lan in mbc but I am wondering if it will be possible to add an option to send the wol signal when the pc is resume from sleep. I have the standby tool to close and start wmc but it isn't very visitor friendly.

In my experience putting the machine to sleep with WMC/MBC running leads to very unstable behavior so I don't want to encourage it.

Deihmos

I haven't had any issues with leaving it open using Windows 8.1 on the server pc with mbc. I leave wmc running all the time and never had an issue. I had some issues when I was using Windows 7 but I think it was all related to video drivers.

My problem with standbytool other than the developement has been dead for years is it sometimes fails to restart the other clients. It does not happen often but it can be an inconvenience. I also sometimes get a video driver error when it restarts wmc. I had a guest over and he didn't bother using the television because it happened to him and he didn't know how to fix it it so stopped using it.

I have to restart the clients because if it resumes with mbc open, and the server is off, it will lockup until mbc crashes.

I am exploring other options to send a wake signal when a client resumes but I am not sure if I want to do that. If I had a way to auto kill mbc when the machine goes to sleep problem would be solved.

balkerman

I use the stand by also, but without issues. Here are my setting:

-Stop wmc when going to standby

-Start when resuming

-use event ghost to trigger server wake event on resume

-delay wmc start to avoid driver error on resume

-enable wake monitor setting

Deihmos

Can you tell me more about the event ghost trigger to wake the server? That is something I am interested in. Like I said the standby tool works the majority of the time and I have it set to an 8 second startup delay. I much rather have wmc run all the time and trigger an event to wake the pc when resume from sleep. Just have not found the perfect solution as yet.

Deihmos

I figured out eventghost which is a really nice app but MBC does not play nice and still sometimes crashes even though the server pc is on. I will have to stick with the restarting WMC. With all of these tools it makes me wonder why some would leave their server running 24/7.

Edited by Deihmos

I leave my server running but let the drives sleep.  It really doesn't consume much that way and is ready whenever I need it (without all the hoop jumping).

Deihmos

I don't like leaving electronics on when not in use.

Edited by Deihmos

nydude25

I leave my WMC machine running without letting it sleep. I have the CableCard tuner in it, and when I originally installed that, the best advice was to just prevent sleep mode. So I've done that ever since. There is endless debate about whether the life of the drives is shortened more by powering down and starting up versus constantly running. I don't know, but I haven't had any issues from not using sleep mode.

Deihmos

I leave my WMC machine running without letting it sleep. I have the CableCard tuner in it, and when I originally installed that, the best advice was to just prevent sleep mode. So I've done that ever since. There is endless debate about whether the life of the drives is shortened more by powering down and starting up versus constantly running. I don't know, but I haven't had any issues from not using sleep mode.

I use the hdhomerun network tuner so any client can view television without the server being on. The server which is also my living room pc is only needed to view movies and TV shows stored on the server. When I made the move from the cable box I avoided tuner cards. I really don't have any issues using sleep. It has been like that for many years.