Comcast cable and live tv windows server ?

robkingutah1

robkingutah1

Is anybody else in here running media browser server on windows with comcast cable what's your experiance ? Need to know if I'm the only one having video juddering and dropped frame issues

overClocked!

Is anybody else in here running media browser server on windows with comcast cable what's your experiance ? Need to know if I'm the only one having video juddering and dropped frame issues

I have Comcast / Xfinity cable on a with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCard PCIe tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1, Biostar TA790GXBE motherboard, AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2 GHz Black Edition Processor with 8GB DDR2 6400 RAM. Gigabit Ethernet. I use ServerWMC 1.0.0.36, build1154 as my MediaBrowser 3 (3.0.5309.26857) Server LiveTV plug-in / back-end. It works beautifully with the proper Video Quality setting.

I have used Windows Media Center for Recorded and Live TV playback since 1996 and still prefer it over any DVR interface and set top box offered by any TV provider. I use MediaBrowser's LiveTV remote web browser clients, but I have not had any problem with shuddering or dropped frames. Even when over the Internet, the playback is smooth as long as I adjust the video quality appropriate to my available bandwidth.

Can you give some more specifics about your setup? Mine is outdated by today's standards, but has more than enough power to do everything MediaBrowser throws at it.

robkingutah1

I'm running a core i7 8gb ram 500gb SSD Infiniti tv 4 card with cable card and comcast latest media browser and server wmc. Playback on all devices regardless of qaulity setting seems to be juddering dropped frame. I see it's says 23.97fps instead if 29.97 or 59.94 we use in the US picture quality is great but not smooth. Can I see your transcode log files so I can see the difference?

Also do you have a copy you could post me of the server wmc and media browser version your running. I'm pulling my hair out looking for solutions thanks

P.s when I check my logs I'm seeing ffmpeg setting the frame rate at 23.97 resulting in lots of dropped frames

robkingutah1

I have Comcast / Xfinity cable on a with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCard PCIe tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1, Biostar TA790GXBE motherboard, AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2 GHz Black Edition Processor with 8GB DDR2 6400 RAM. Gigabit Ethernet. I use ServerWMC 1.0.0.36, build1154 as my MediaBrowser 3 (3.0.5309.26857) Server LiveTV plug-in / back-end. It works beautifully with the proper Video Quality setting.

I have used Windows Media Center for Recorded and Live TV playback since 1996 and still prefer it over any DVR interface and set top box offered by any TV provider. I use MediaBrowser's LiveTV remote web browser clients, but I have not had any problem with shuddering or dropped frames. Even when over the Internet, the playback is smooth as long as I adjust the video quality appropriate to my available bandwidth.

Can you give some more specifics about your setup? Mine is outdated by today's standards, but has more than enough power to do everything MediaBrowser throws at it.

overClocked!

I'm running a core i7 8gb ram 500gb SSD Infiniti tv 4 card with cable card and comcast latest media browser and server wmc. Playback on all devices regardless of qaulity setting seems to be juddering dropped frame. I see it's says 23.97fps instead if 29.97 or 59.94 we use in the US picture quality is great but not smooth. Can I see your transcode log files so I can see the difference?

Also do you have a copy you could post me of the server wmc and media browser version your running. I'm pulling my hair out looking for solutions thanks

P.s when I check my logs I'm seeing ffmpeg setting the frame rate at 23.97 resulting in lots of dropped frames

I decided to update to the latest MBS version 3.0.5347.22095 and ServerWMC build 1162 last night and I see what you mean. It's happening to me too, now.

Here are transcode logs from this weekend before I performed the updates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hip6lds5nplhrau/transcode-2f7a552a-c8bd-40d9-aeb0-ac427fdd6d55.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v33ui3lrjliso0p/transcode-85ed1305-fdfc-4358-8653-ee7a4826007a.txt?dl=0

And here is a transcode log almost immediately after performing the updates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5urknpof7si4s14/transcode-d517014b-62df-42cd-ac9b-c824b38e7e1d.txt?dl=0

What a big difference! I went from 60 fps to 23, and from 0 drops to several per second. That's pretty significant.

I'm not sure what caused the change in the ffmpeg command line that gets called when I initiate a LiveTV stream, but I'm rolling back to my previous versions. Fortunately, I always create a Windows System Restore Point before performing any updates.

I have the 1154 build of ServerWMC still (PM me or hit up KrustyReturns), but there is no way (that I know of) to keep a previous installer for any of the MediaBrowser servers or Apps for Windows.

In another one of your posts, I see Luke has indicated this will be corrected in the next server release. So that leads me to believe it was an oversight during some testing or tweaks. I hope that's all it is because I LOVE being able to watch Hi-Def NFL games live on my iPad when I'm out and about.

Happy2Play

but there is no way (that I know of) to keep a previous installer for any of the MediaBrowser servers or Apps for Windows.

The Server already does this, it puts your previous server in a .old folder. 

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old

• Like 1

overClocked!

The Server already does this, it puts your previous server in a .old folder. 

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old

Really? So renaming System to System.bad and the System.old folder back to System puts you back where you were prior to updating? ( sans the other settings)? Seems incomplete. Any success with this?

Really? So renaming System to System.bad and the System.old folder back to System puts you back where you were prior to updating? ( sans the other settings)? Seems incomplete. Any success with this?

That is correct. That would be the exact same thing as re-installing the previous version.

• Like 1

robkingutah1

Can anyone please post there system or system.old folder link in a zip file or something for the following server version 3.0.5309.26857

Happy2Play

If you have Previous version enabled you can right click the folder and see how far back your versions go.  Mine only go back to 3.0.5340.21263.

overClocked!

That is correct. That would be the exact same thing as re-installing the previous version.

That's great news. I never knew about that. Excellent! So there is hope if I ever forget to create (or accidentally delete) my restore point.

overClocked!

Can anyone please post there system or system.old folder link in a zip file or something for the following server version 3.0.5309.26857

@@ebr,

Would this even work? Are there any values contained in the files of the System folder that would be unique to one installation that might cause issues when introduced into a foreign environment? I looked through the files and everything looks pretty generic to my untrained eyes. But would the other configuration folders that contain data relevant to the new version be considered corrupt to an older version?

robkingutah1

I tried it with a slightly older not old enough one I have it's generic. Just need to correct one and my problems go away for now

@@ebr,

Would this even work? Are there any values contained in the files of the System folder that would be unique to one installation that might cause issues when introduced into a foreign environment? I looked through the files and everything looks pretty generic to my untrained eyes. But would the other configuration folders that contain data relevant to the new version be considered corrupt to an older version?

It depends on exactly what was changed in the new version and how far back you try to go.  Just going back to the previous version (by renaming these folders) will probably be okay 90% of the time as we usually don't make changes requiring conversion of anything.

Trying to go back several versions could cause problems because our data structures may have changed to something that is not understood by the prior version.

I understand people's reluctance to update sometimes - especially with something that is moving as fast as we are - but we really do prefer people to be on the current version because it is just impossible to support otherwise.  I understand there are sometimes situations where bugs are introduced that you really want to avoid.  Our preferred approach is to get these fixed and a new release out ASAP but the backup plan would be for you to use the .old folder and restore.

overClocked!

It depends on exactly what was changed in the new version and how far back you try to go. Just going back to the previous version (by renaming these folders) will probably be okay 90% of the time as we usually don't make changes requiring conversion of anything.

Trying to go back several versions could cause problems because our data structures may have changed to something that is not understood by the prior version.

I understand people's reluctance to update sometimes - especially with something that is moving as fast as we are - but we really do prefer people to be on the current version because it is just impossible to support otherwise. I understand there are sometimes situations where bugs are introduced that you really want to avoid. Our preferred approach is to get these fixed and a new release out ASAP but the backup plan would be for you to use the .old folder and restore.

It's almost like you were reading my mind. This is exactly the reason why I hesitate to upgrade when I see the new bugs introduced that would affect the way I use the products. I can see a little bit of this already when trying to revert back (via System Restore) to 3.0.5309.26857 from 3.0.5347.22095. It caused issues. So fortunately, I had a copy of the System.old folder that I could copy over and rename directly and everything was fixed. I love the idea of creating playlists for music, and definitely for video. TV series episodes is just begging for this in MB3. But I need for it to be available in more than just the web client (prefer the eye candy of iOS iPad version, and WMC when in the living room). And I cringe at all the reports of crashing after updating.

I will say that I loved what I saw with 3.0.5347.22095 and when this ffmpeg frame rate bug with LiveTV is eliminated, I will update again.

Thank you to ALL the MB3 team!!

Edited by overClocked!

MBC supports playlists.

And I cringe at all the reports of crashing after updating.

All what reports?  I think this is very uncommon...

robkingutah1

We'll going back to the old version with some help from overclocked really fixed to problem for me stable smooth video in the correct frame rate. So staying put for now

overClocked!

MBC supports playlists.

All what reports? I think this is very uncommon...

I have a separate issue with the latest version of MBC and will create a new thread for that. But it's why I haven't updated beyond a certain point, so I'm not sure if my version can handle the playlists yet. I can wait.

The reports I mentioned of crashing, non-responsiveness, etc... seem to be individual isolated issues and not necessarily bugs. But it's enough to give me pause, so I tend to wait until I see fewer users having issues before I take the plunge to enjoy new features.

• 2 weeks later...
swindmiller

Is it possible to use someone else backup? I am having the same problem and tried re-installing over the current install so my backup file is the same version as the current :(

Thanks,

Scott

overClocked!

Is it possible to use someone else backup? I am having the same problem and tried re-installing over the current install so my backup file is the same version as the current :(

Thanks,

Scott

Yep.

• 3 weeks later...