WIN8 or WHS2011 for server os

ramrod215

ramrod215

I just cheaply upgraded my server (old mobo died)

contains

MOBO: GIGABYTE 970A

CPU: AMD FX6300

RAM: Corsair 8 gb (2x4gig) 9.9.9.9.24

HDD: 6-7

OS: WHS2011 utilizing flex raid for parity and drive pooling

My question is currently i am running WHS2011 is it worth going to WIN8.1 pro (have a copy already). WHS2011 caps memory at 8gig but has some good features. Am i gaining anything by going to win8.1 pro?  

Server only uses are MBS currently was thinking about MCE buddy running on server instead of the htpc. Would like to put blue iris camera software on it as well. any thoughts or opinions are welcome

I tried both, WHS2011 and Win 8.1 as Homeserver OS.

For me, thats the Pros and cons of Win 8 vs WHS2011:

Pros Windows 8 vs. WHS:

• Win 8 is the latest Windows OS with the latest drivers and broader Hardware Support than WHS2011 and for a relative small price (much cheaper than any of the latest Server2012 Systems) 
  • Storage Spaces are included in Win8 (But you can install it in WHS2011 afterwards with several Programs)
  • You can restore different version of files with the File Version History under Win8
  • For some Peoples the filesharing over Win8 could be easier with the Win8 libarys (when you have other Win7 or Win8 machines in your network)
  • Easyer administration, because it's the same system you already using on your Desktop PC's
  • You can install all Programms without any restrictions under Win8 (Some freeware is not compatible with Server OS)
  • On Win8 you have a Central Virus Protection onboard with Windows Defender
Cons Windows 8 vs. WHS:
  • You have have no direct VPN or RAS with Win8. You need to enable VPN thrue your Router
  • With Win8 you have no centralized Clientbackup like under WHS. A Clientbackup must be done per Client
  • You have have no centralized Users or Computeradministration with Win8. 
  • With Win8 you have no direct access from outside like with the WHS Webseite and IIS.

So in sum, for me the Win8 has mor pros than cons for using it as a Server OS in a homenetwork.

But it just depends on you needs  ;)

If i where you I would save myself the hassle to switch to a other system, if the old works good enough  :P

Maybe this article about Win8 as a Server OS can help you also: http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/07/03/building-windows-8-home-server-introduction/

Edited by CM000n