Fire TV/Stick HTML5 MB3

mini__me

mini__me

So after seeing the new HTML5 tester app released for Fire TV / Stick I installed it I gave it a shot at connecting to my MB3 server.

It connects both directly and via .tv address fine and the web interface is reasonably functional with the remote, but not anywhere near acceptable for everyone's use.

Videos do not play, just an error is displayed need to pull the logs to see if there is anything useful in them, I didn't see anything in a cursory glance, and no transcode log appeared.

The Fire TV is identified as a Chrome 34.0.0.0 Android device in the Web Interface.

Interesting never the less :)

EDIT: Debug Server log attached attempting to play a video controlled remotely, as it's faster to navigate that way to keep the log smaller :)

ServerLog.zip

Edited by mini__me

Where can I find info about this tester app? I just got the Fire Stick and see it comes with Plex support. Would be great if MB supported it.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.

Whoops! I guess I meant where to find info about Red's app (should have wrote teaser app). I think that tester comes included with the Fire stick.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.

ramrod215

Idk of it was posted yet but I just side loaded the media browser app and it works fine with the remote. Reds app will look and act a lot better but it's use able until he releases. ( Thanks devs you guys are great)

Idk of it was posted yet but I just side loaded the media browser app and it works fine with the remote. Reds app will look and act a lot better but it's use able until he releases. ( Thanks devs you guys are great)

Great stuff. Well done.

MSattler

I'm confused, so install the Web test app, and then just point it to your mediabrowser server's web interface?

Is playback working?

mini__me

Side loading the Android MB3 app will work on the FireTV and playback video fine.

Using the Web Tester was just something I played with when I saw it available for the FTV and thought I see what was displayed.

mini__me

As above though the current MB3 app uses the Android interface which works but is touch centric rather than remote friendly. From screenshots this will be changing though and from the blog post this should be soon :)

MSattler

As above though the current MB3 app uses the Android interface which works but is touch centric rather than remote friendly. From screenshots this will be changing though and from the blog post this should be soon :)

I guess the question is how did you get the apk for the sideloading?  I tried installing the Google Play store, but it won't connect to the store.  I've tried purchasing it in the Google Play store over the web but it doesn't count my FireTV Stick as a android device.

Frustrating.  I want to buy it and sideload it but have no means to.

Redshirt

Amazon has different requirements for the Fire TV (and stick) than they do for their tablets. The new layouts aim to satisfy those requirements. Once the layouts are feature complete and the client passes Amazon's testing process it will be available for the Fire TV devices. As I mentioned in that blog, I'm expecting a release in January. 

I don't recommend side-loading the client because you'll be using the mobile UI and it's just not geared for handheld remote control navigation. Plus side loading makes me a sad panda :)

MSattler

Amazon has different requirements for the Fire TV (and stick) than they do for their tablets. The new layouts aim to satisfy those requirements. Once the layouts are feature complete and the client passes Amazon's testing process it will be available for the Fire TV devices. As I mentioned in that blog, I'm expecting a release in January. 

I don't recommend side-loading the client because you'll be using the mobile UI and it's just not geared for handheld remote control navigation. Plus side loading makes me a sad panda :)

I know I know =)  but I just hate having the TV Stick just sitting there not being used =)   MB is the only reason I bought the sticks, well and maybe for some Amazon Prime viewing.

=)