Share mapping and Organization problems

nick779

Good morning all,

Im currently testing out FreeNAS before making the plunge on all my hardware purchases and the only thing Im having trouble with is Media Browser.

Im on 9.3 STABLE with MediaBrowserVersion 3.0.5464.40000 up and running, I have streams working and reading from a Windows share mapped to a media folder within the jail as Read-Only. My problem here is that even if I put the movies in folders, they still appear on my WDTV Live as not being in separate folders. Using Servio on my old Win 7 box, this does not happen. I figured this may have something to do with it being setup as a Windows share mapped internally into the Jail, so I tried to map to the share through the Media Browser console instead, but it says that the network path does not exist. Ive tried connecting to numerous shares that I can see from my Windows laptop, but I cant get to them from MB. I can ping all share servers from the MB jail shell.

Im still new to Freenas, but Ive been reading quite a bit over the last month or so regarding it, I still may have missed something stupid that would cause this.

woodsb02

When looking at them on your WDTV live, do you know if it is using windows file sharing (samba) or DLNA (MediaBrowser) to view the files? I believe mediabrowser DLNA will display your files without the folder structure by default.

When looking at them on your WDTV live, do you know if it is using windows file sharing (samba) or DLNA (MediaBrowser) to view the files? I believe mediabrowser DLNA will display your files without the folder structure by default.

Im assuming DLNA because when I select a data source it reads it as Mediabrowser. I dont have it configured (to my knowledge) to read directly from shares.

I figured that my problem would be solved if I just have it read from the Windows share on the NAS, I just cant map to it.

woodsb02

One of the features of mediabrowser is that you don't have to have a perfect file/folder structure, it will recursively search through it and make all of your media available in a simple hierarchy. This is good for people who haven't taken the time to tidy their media library files/folders.

It looks like the feature to use DLNA to browse by folder structure has been requested before in these threads:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7221-fr-dlna-display-formatting/

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7835-question-about-library-browsing/

@@kingy444 do you know if this ever got anywhere? Did you get in contact with @@acdvorak as @@Luke suggested?

I think it's answered in those threads too. You can configure your user views to display the library however you like.

If you enable the Folders option, then you'll see a layout that mimics your folder structure.

• Like 1