Videos are Very pixelated

ghostguy
Go to solution Solved by shaefurr,

ghostguy

The past 3 days I've noticed a issue where the television shows i watch are all pixelated.  Edges of everything including texts propsand people is where is most noticeable.  These are files that are either .mkv or .mp4 

Ive checked video player settings and everything seems to be at default 

I'm not sure where to look for answers

I have set the Advance setting in the server transcoding to Best quality

Thoughts?

AdrianW

MBT would normally access your videos directly and not require any transcoding at all.

When you set up your media locations in the server UI, did you use UNC paths? (e.g. \\severname\sharename\videos\TV) - this will ensure MBT will play the videos directly when on the same network.

• Like 1

MBT would normally access your videos directly and not require any transcoding at all.

When you set up your media locations in the server UI, did you use UNC paths? (e.g. \\severname\sharename\videos\TV) - this will ensure MBT will play the videos directly when on the same network.

Also make sure the MBT machine/user has permissions to access those paths.

PoBear

I'm also having this problem, I've noticed it on videos that I have re-encoded with a low quality setting, although they look perfectly fine when I am editing, them but I am now wondering if it MB transcoding them.

I have everything defined as a UNC and my playback machine has access to them.

Is there anything I can check in the logs to see whether transcoding is happening?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------

Sorry just noticed this is in MBT and I am running MBC but would still be interested in answer.

Edited by PoBear

ghostguy

yes   I've had that setup since MBT came out

This problem started about 3-4 days ago

PoBear

I appear to have fixed my problem, I couldn't figure why some videos were OK and others not, by chance one of the programmes we were watching tonight was pixelated, checked my setup and for some reason I had defined it using a network drive rather than a UNC, even though the files are not actually on the server, added a substitution path and restarted the video and the quality went back up to what I expected it to be.

Interestingly the Dashboard says that it is still being transcoded, but I don't think this is the case now.

Ghostguy - is there any chance that your playback machine has lost the connection to where your videos are kept but the server is still connected? So you have C <=> S and S <=> V but not C <=> V.

ghostguy

still no luck after checking everything

I've even noticed the FPS are taking a hit as well

Another clue is that using VLC player all videos work 100% 

thoughts?

swhitmore

It may be a codec issue. Remove all codec packs other than LAV. Check your LAV videos settings, then enable to option for the tray icon. After than, check that LAV video is running (you can tell by the tray icon) when you're watching a video through MBT. Testing with VLC isn't a great indication of anything (other than the fact you can play directly) since it uses it's own codecs.

ghostguy

It may be a codec issue. Remove all codec packs other than LAV. Check your LAV videos settings, then enable to option for the tray icon. After than, check that LAV video is running (you can tell by the tray icon) when you're watching a video through MBT. Testing with VLC isn't a great indication of anything (other than the fact you can play directly) since it uses it's own codecs.

So after following your suggestions....even though the option for the system tray icon is selected,  It still does not show up in the system tray

....grrrrrrrr

ghostguy

and just so i don't sound crazy here's the issue of pixaelating edges and FPS i'm talking about.   You can see it around Howards face and Raj's hair  etc...

538faa247427a_Screenshot20140604171653.p

Getumzz

That looks more like a wrong aspect ratio then a codec fault to me.

Just wait till the new build comes out and see if that solves the problem

swhitmore

It's possible that MBT is transcoding and therefore your getting the video at a lower bitrate. One of the devs will need to look into this. You'll need to provide logs. Please have a look here and follow these instructions: How to Report a Problem

@@Luke ?

Edited by swhitmore

• Solution
shaefurr

This was in another post as I had the same problem, cant find the post at the moment, but here was the fix.

Go to ..Appdata/Roaming/MediaBrowser-Theater/Config

Open the System.xml in notepad and change this line

<UseCustomPresenter>true</UseCustomPresenter> from true to false, after that reopen MBT and it should be fine.

EDIT: here was the post with the fix http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6954-some-videos-flicker/

And my original issue screens:

5367afb00a435_mbtnew.jpg

And after changing the presenter value:

5367afc89a98b_mdtold.jpg

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 3

ghostguy

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

thats the answers....no idea why but I'm all good now 

Thank you so much

• Like 1