Stuttering with i5 2415m 4gb

Schroinx

psykix

I'm slightly confused too now. I have LAV 0.62.0 installed also.

When I check LAV Splitter, then it is using 0.62.0

I'll have to enable the tray icon to confirm that it is not using 0.62.0 of LAV video.

babgvant

With an i5 2415m?

I can find an entry for the EVR but can't find a true/false value. How do I disable it in the XML file then?

Video performance on an IPG is often limited by the quality and configuration of the RAM. Make sure you have 2 sticks installed to enable dual-channel.

Try deleting the LAV folder inside COMObjects and replacing it with http://babgvant.com/downloads/lav.zip. Then edit LAV.txt to have the current date time. This will update LAV to 0.62 (latest).

Inside system.xml there should be a setting like

<ShowTrayIcon>false</ShowTrayIcon>

<UseCustomPresenter>true</UseCustomPresenter>

<NominalRange>2</NominalRange>

<EnableMadvr>false</EnableMadvr>

Set that to false to use the default presenter.

babgvant

I'm slightly confused too now. I have LAV 0.62.0 installed also.

When I check LAV Splitter, then it is using 0.62.0

I'll have to enable the tray icon to confirm that it is not using 0.62.0 of LAV video.

The property page (what the tray exposes) loads values for the installed version not the running version. You have to look at the dlls in the COMObjects\LAV to see what MBT is using.

psykix

The property page (what the tray exposes) loads values for the installed version not the running version. You have to look at the dlls in the COMObjects\LAV to see what MBT is using.

Ah ok! I'll be quiet then in case I confuse the matter further!

Schroinx

Video performance on an IPG is often limited by the quality and configuration of the RAM. Make sure you have 2 sticks installed to enable dual-channel.

Try deleting the LAV folder inside COMObjects and replacing it with http://babgvant.com/downloads/lav.zip. Then edit LAV.txt to have the current date time. This will update LAV to 0.62 (latest).

Inside system.xml there should be a setting like

<ShowTrayIcon>false</ShowTrayIcon>

<UseCustomPresenter>true</UseCustomPresenter>

<NominalRange>2</NominalRange>

<EnableMadvr>false</EnableMadvr>

Set that to false to use the default presenter.

I'll try and look into the memory issue, but as the hardware is a Mac Mini, I might not have a lot of freedom.

Is 0.62 and 0.62.0 not the same version? I did what you suggested, with no change. I also disabled the EVR with no luck.

babgvant

I'll try and look into the memory issue, but as the hardware is a Mac Mini, I might not have a lot of freedom.

Is 0.62 and 0.62.0 not the same version? I did what you suggested, with no change. I also disabled the EVR with no luck.

0.62 and 0.62.0 are the same, MBT uses 0.61.2.

Try disabling Contrast Enhancement in the graphics setting tool. That might help.

FWIW, I know someone with a mini who resolved a stuttering issue with CableCARD content by swapping out the RAM for faster modules. I don't know if it's the same thing, but if you have any laying around it might be worth a shot.

Schroinx

0.62 and 0.62.0 are the same, MBT uses 0.61.2.

Try disabling Contrast Enhancement in the graphics setting tool. That might help.

FWIW, I know someone with a mini who resolved a stuttering issue with CableCARD content by swapping out the RAM for faster modules. I don't know if it's the same thing, but if you have any laying around it might be worth a shot.

In which tool?

I can see it has two 2gb 10600 sticks. But it is a notebook type I do not have any of.

babgvant

In which tool?

I can see it has two 2gb 10600 sticks. But it is a notebook type I do not have any of.

Right click on the desktop and select "Graphics Properties", then select Video -> Image Enhancement. It is on the advanced tab.

DDR3-1066? If so, it's possible that you are experiencing a memory bandwidth issue. The IPG support DDR3-1333, so it might be worth seeing if that helps.

Schroinx

Right click on the desktop and select "Graphics Properties", then select Video -> Image Enhancement. It is on the advanced tab.

DDR3-1066? If so, it's possible that you are experiencing a memory bandwidth issue. The IPG support DDR3-1333, so it might be worth seeing if that helps.

Then the Intel Display Settings panel pops up that goes with the driver, and it has no such setting. Is there another way to locate it?

But why would MBT experience memory bandwidth issues, and not WMP, MBC or VLC?

babgvant

Is the dialog dark blue or white? Maybe they didn't redo the GUI for SNB? If it's dark blue, I made a video that shows the setting:

MBT is built on WPF, these other applications are not. WPF makes it easy for developers to draw the nice UI and animations (which IIRC are rendered as video via the EVR), but that isn't free. It adds load on the GPU and other system resources.

Schroinx

It's dark blue. Thx for the video. It did help some with disabling the contrast thing, but not eliminate it completely. Now the stuttering is in smaller "jumps" so to say.

Okay, that's why.

Edited by Schroinx

babgvant

Disabling that setting reduces load on the GPU subsystem, that's why it works (and it's a pretty terrible thing to do the video in the first place :)). Since disabling it has an effect it's possible that 1) you might be able to tweak the problem away by disabling other VPP settings. Flesh tone correction is another horrible option that should be disabled, and it's worth seeing if disabling flim mode detection does anything 2) you may benefit from faster RAM. A couple sticks of SO-DIMM of DDR3-1333 (or DDR3-1666) is pretty cheap.

Schroinx

I have tried, but not luck with further reduction.

I'll get some 2x4gb 204 pins DDR3 1600/12800 CL11 and see if it works. Or is 2x2gb 1333 enough you think?

psykix

I'd make sure you have exhausted all options before spending out money :-)

The graphics driver you are using, is it directly from Intel or are you using the one installed by Windows? I would always advise the Intel sourced one (usually beta from their forums).

One other thing - I noticed in some of the threads folks with NUC boxes having performance issues. I'm not sure what the config options are on the Mac Mini, but make sure you have sufficient RAM allocated to the GPU.

babgvant

I have tried, but not luck with further reduction.

I'll get some 2x4gb 204 pins DDR3 1600/12800 CL11 and see if it works. Or is 2x2gb 1333 enough you think?

2x2 should fine, unless you want the extra RAM for other things. Also, because your system is limited to 1333 make sure that if you get CL11 1600 that it will run at CL9 when set to 1333 (most can).

babgvant

One other thing - I noticed in some of the threads folks with NUC boxes having performance issues. I'm not sure what the config options are on the Mac Mini, but make sure you have sufficient RAM allocated to the GPU.

I use a HSW NUC. What sort of problems are they seeing?

babgvant

That thread raises a valid point. Check GPU memory allocation (which depending on how you use your HTPC and the OS may be a good reason to get 2x4GB instead of 2x2GB). Make sure that you have allocated a reasonable amount of dedicated memory in BIOS.

Schroinx

I have checked and the memory is running at 1333MHz, so not much to do there I guess.

Mac has a EFI as I understand and no bios screen. Is there some way to check this in windows?

I'll try and get the rEFIt to work, but I am waiting on getting a Mac keyboard as the Mac mini does not play with a standard USB keyboard.

I wonder if I should try and install the MP-HPC.

psykix

I also read that 16Gb will give 768mb vram, despite what Apple say, but take that with a pinch of salt or do some more research first :-)

Schroinx

I also read that 16Gb will give 768mb vram, despite what Apple say, but take that with a pinch of salt or do some more research first :-)

From the tread in macrum, it seems as it does noting, because the graphics memory is shared system memory and when the 256 is used, more is allocated on the fly by the system. So more memory is just going to raise the default allocated amount only but not solve the problem.

I am wondering if I should try and get a mini with HD4000 graphics instead. Cause it seems as I am running out of options with the 2415m/HD3000. But I am reluctant as I have just upgraded the server. What would be nice to know is if anyone has gotten MBT to work with the HD3000 graphics, as it will indicate if it is possible.

Edited by Schroinx

psykix

Well before I put the GTX760 into my HTPC it was running on just the HD4000. It worked fine and even worked ok with MadVR but just on conservative settings.

Haven't ever had a HD3000 so can't comment unfortunately!